How to fix a post in shallow soil (sewer? below)?

I need to fix a fencing post into some ground where there's only 12" or maybe a bit more depth before one hits what looks like a concrete sewer pipe.

The posts I'm using (for the rest of the fence) are 6' ones with about

2' in the ground.

What can I do to fix a post in this shallow ground - or what other options do I have? It's a post at one side of a gate (not the one carrying the gate) so I can's support it with a top rail.

Reply to
Chris Green

Cast a concrete 'paving slab' with a collar mounted in it? Then bolt/screw the post into the slab. If you ever need access you can lift the slab - you might add hook(s) for that. The slab will spread the load so it isn't all over the pipe, and ballast the post.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

I can think of two possible ways to deal with this.

1) Fill the ground with concrete and use a surface fixing.

2) Fit a post to the full depth as close as possible to the end one and join the two with strong horizontal rails.

Reply to
nightjar

Wood or concrete posts? If wood I'd bridge the pipe with a slab supported by "foundations" either side of the pipe (removing soil under the slab so there's no weight on the pipe itself) and use a bolt-down support.

If concrete posts, err... pass.

Reply to
Robin