Screwfix

Others can make up their own mind about the following, and whether Screwfix are a company they feel happy dealing with. I'm reporting the facts only.

A couple of weeks ago, as reported on this newsgroup, I ordered nearly £200 worth of goods from Screwfix, and because I needed these materials urgently I paid the additional £9 for express next day delivery before 10am. I then waited in for that delivery, cancelling other possible jobs.

The goods did not arrive by 10am, so I phoned Screwfix to be advised that the goods had been packed, but they had forgotten to ship them out of the warehouse.

I received them the following day, but the goods supplied did not match my order. When I phoned I got told the usual tripe about they wouldn't ship the missing items of my order until they had received back those surplus items I had received (those surplus items included

3 heavy boxes of stainless steel tiles - £340 worth!!!). Naturally, I expressed my delight at this arrangement and eventually they backed down to ship my order first, then collect the goods the following day.

Yet more days of lost productivity waiting in for Screwfix to deliver and then collect (two separate occasions a day apart).

When the materials were collected to go back to Screwfix the driver commented that he had delivered those very heavy materials a couple of days earlier, and that they (the deliveries company) apparently spent quite a lot of their time going back to collect goods which Screwfix shipped wrongly. I imagine this situation must really hurt Screwfix's bottom line.

I wrote to the MD of Screwfix complaining that they had shipped my express order a day late, but hadn't bothered refunding the express payment. And pointing out that their screw-up had cost me time and money. Most companies would respond with an "oops, sorry about that" as a minimum. Not Screwfix.

I got a refund about a week later. I've never had an apology or any other goodwill gesture at any time.

At the same time I registered domain name screwfixsucks.co.uk, intending to publish the factual information about this and other matters which their company screw up - apparently frequently - according to what I read on this newsgroup and elsewhere.

Since that took place my attitude has calmed down and I've forgotten about the matter to the extent that I was about to place another order with Screwfix. That was, until this mornings post brought the following threatening letter from Screwfix:

find it to be a tremendous pity that a company like Screwfix, who I understand belong to B&Q, intend to go for a litigation approach where a very simple apology for their own foul-up would have easily rescued bad feeling and got me back on-side.

If they'd been smart enough to give a very simple "sorry, we got it wrong", I'd have transferred the domain to them at no cost. I have no wish to get involved in an orchestrated campaign about any company. I just want to run my own successful little business without these monster companies who have forgotten about how costly it is to run a small business giving me a bad day feeling.

Whilst I most probably shan't use the domain name in question I shall most certainly be obliged to register my displeasure with the company as far and wide as possible from now on - and publish the facts to all and sundry. Well done Screwfix, big own goal here which you could so easily have avoided by just being honest and accepting that you were clearly and unambiguously at fault.

And just for the record, in the past I have been very positive about Screwfix and their deliveries on this newsgroup and elsewhere. All companies slip up sometimes and whilst this one occasion hurt me, in the general context of things I had been a happy camper where Screwfix were concerned. Never again.

And as far as B&Q and Screwfix are concerned I have spent literally thousands of pounds in their warehouses and online over a period of time. Guess where I'll be taking my business in future?

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Well they haven't changed then. I thought their attitude over spamming was bad enough, but veiled threats over a domain name that contains theirs is just proof of an anti customer attitude. Makes you wonder how they expect to stay in business.

You are welcome to archive my postings on the site if you like, I am still itching to issue County Court proceedings for the invoice they didn't pay. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

This is the typical behaviour of large firms of lawyers and accountants where letters are signed in the name of the company and not the individual writing the letter. Nobody wants to accept responsibility.

Somebody there certainly is into domain name management.

Most of the spelling mistakes that you might make will take you to their site. For example:

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I was disapointed to see that they had not registered

Scott Mills

I'm in the process of a complete re-wire/re-structure of my lighting (which is in a right mess!). I was about to place an order with them, but I was holding back because of some of the recent bad comments. The order (over £300) for lighting units, has now been placed with a local Focus outlet.

BTW I'd been looking for a range of matching up and down lights to do a complete re-work or all my lighting. I was very pleasantly surprised by the range and quality available in the local Focus outlet; well worth a look, in my humble opinion!

Reply to
NumptyDumpty

BTW, unless you are "passing off", Screwfix are on pretty thin ice. Tell them to get stuffed.

(IANAL.)

Reply to
Huge

In fairness to SF I've used them for nearly 5 years and have probably spent a couple of grand over that time. Most recent was £200 on a ladder, hose real and 7 pairs of SS hinges. The ladder being on 14 day delivery was ordered at the same time as the hinges.

The hose real appears next day, the hinges the day after and the ladder followed the following day. They split the orders, delivered what they could and the whole lot was here within 2-3 working days from order. I don't think thats too bad.

Last time I did a guaranteed next day it was on time but they have missed deliveries before, each time they have apologised and given me a tenner voucher which is okay by me. If I need immediately I buy it locally as there are too many links in the chain between SF and me and it only takes a carriers van to break down and your not going to get your delivery on time.

Reply to
Aenuff

Oddly,

takes you somewhere entirely different ;-)

Reply to
John Laird

I give up. I can't guess. Where?

Reply to
PJO

In message , Huge writes

I don't think they are bothered about the domain name itself, I think they are more concerned about the content that might appear on a such named site.

Reply to
chris French

So long as it isn't libellous, I refer you to my previous comment.

Reply to
Huge

customer* who registered 'handymacsucks.co.uk' you'd be a bit defensive! From what I can see they're saying "we know about it and whilst we're not very happy about it we're not going to get heavy unless we consider we have to".

  • with the best will in the world I'm sure we all have them - sometimes for whatever reason a job goes pear-shaped and we rub the customer up the wrong way and they end up convinced we're the rogues/cowboys they've been warned about

Was Screwfix ever a small business or was it born fully fledged out of some larger group? I'm sure whoever in that organisation originally bust their guts getting the primordial small business going has long since retired to a sunny paradise (or at least from day-to-day running of the business).

I think Screwfix's (and B&Q's) policies towards customers (no-questions refunds etc) are driven by hard-nosed commercial considerations rather than any inherent moral position or sympathy for the small trader. Where they mess someone about the way they have with you it's the business not working properly, not how it's supposed to work. If they thought it would be more profitable overall to rip off and shaft customers at every step they'd do that 99% consistently and efficiently, and we'd only hear stories of "Screwfix did such-and-such right" instead. (There may be businesses like Marks&Sparks, John Lewis & the Co-Op whose business practices are driven by ethical criteria, but if non-ethically based businesses do so it's simply because it makes commercial sense.)

I agree Screwfix's customer relations practice has (evidently!) f**ed up in their dealings with your order as you described. FWIW I've had a day's work buggered up by their (or rather ParcelFarce's) failure to make an express delivery. (In my case they did refund the delivery surcharge without any problem.) Now I use them when I don't need stuff in a hurry (arranging my diary accordingly if I want stuff from them).

Having said all that I haven't been back to Safeway since one evening in January last year when a Security primate accused me of being a shoplifter (not of shoplifting there and then - I'd only just walked into the store - but of being someone he'd seen being arrested for shoplifting at another Safeway's store 10 miles away). The fact that the manager backed him up and said he was barring me from the store without listening to me, and that when I wrote to the MD I got a letter back from some admin nobody saying they couldn't be arsed to find out what had happened but I was welcome to go back and spend my money in their store, pissed me off so much I've just avoided using them since. So I think I understand your outrage about SF!

Reply to
John Stumbles

Did you sue for defamation etc?

Reply to
Zipadee Doodar

My experience of B&Q is unhappy too. Order placed via website for one non-stock kitchen unit about 15th Jan is acknowledged with 14-day delivery. They then phone to confirm an earliest possible delivery date of Feb 20th ... it doesn't come. After a number of phone calls they admit the error and say that as a special favour they've been able to reschedule it for March 2nd (last Tuesday) - a mere ten days after the promised date. It doesn't come. Phone up Wed a.m. and they say that they didn't manage it Tues but will be today. It finally turns up on Thuesday. Three whole days of waiting in for a delivery that didn't come. Plus living with a half complete kitchen for a couple more weeks.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I purchased the domain name to publicise the facts of the situation which confronted me a short time ago. All factual information, nothing libellous there at all. I picked the domain name because I had seen a similar thing for paypalsucks.com and thought that there should be a similar thing for Screwfix.

Basically I placed an order. That order had an uplift charge of £9 to guarantee next day delivery by 10am. Screwfix managed to forget to ship the order. And then had the audacity to charge me the £9 when it arrived 24 hours after it should have done! (I eventually got the £9 back, but only after I raised a complaint).

When the order DID arrive (48 hours after being submitted) the contents of the delivered materials were different to what I had ordered - some of the things I had ordered were missing, and Screwfix managed to include about £340 worth of items which I hadn't ordered. With the experience I have just had with this letter, in future I will keep hold of any mis-shipped items and sell them on ebay to make a profit. Their loss, not mine - their shipping sheet clearly showed what was supposed to have been in the box, not what was actually in the box, so they have no record of what got shipped!

Basically if you receive something in your Screwfix order which you didn't order they have no way of knowing unless you tell them. So keep it and sell it on is my advice. Meanwhile don't hesitate to inform them if there's something missing from your order.

Obviously with their bungling of this situation I shall continue to broadcast their ridiculous customer satisfaction attitude far and wide for a long time to come - with the sole intention of damaging their potential order value. I'll do that by reporting facts, not hearsay. If I can persuade other people to buy elsewhere then that will be a wholly good thing as far as I am concerned, and indeed because I buy DIY goods for my customers I can certainly enforce reduced order values time after time - previously I had used Screwfix as a preferred supplier because it was convenient for me, but from here on in they will be at the tail end of Axminster, D&M Tools, Homebase, Wickes, Focus, etc. Silly buggers!

The simple option to have fixed this situation would have been for them to simply say "okay, we got it wrong". That would have finished the matter for me and we'd continue to be camping happily. Of course, they could have sent me a token for say £10 as well to help mend my bad feeling. Instead they will lose many times that amount because of their attitude - whilst I might decide to use Screwfix again in the future I shall take delight to order from their competitors wherever it makes sense to do so.

One other thing I just noticed too - the letter I received from them today (which I have in front of me and have published on the web site) has a date of 24th February. Today is 6th March. They are just so hot at dealing with customers!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Don't get me wrong - I can understand that things can and do go wrong in any company and I have a very forgiving attitude about such things. And when my order didn't turn up on the prescribed day I was pretty laid back about it - I didn't shout or jump up and down thumping the desk, I just spoke quietly to the lady at the other end and arranged the re-schedule for the following day. An inconvenience for me but job done.

But I felt a duty to write to the Screwfix MD to advise him of my dis-satisfaction at the service his organisation had offered - on the basis that I wanted Screwfix to improve their services and reduce their outlay on dealing with problem orders - that would help everyone because then they could keep their prices down. Again I was quite laid back about the letter I sent. I expected a reasonable response along the lines of "we are so sorry we messed this up - we will try harder". This isn't difficult to do, neither is it costly in terms of customer satisfaction.

Instead I get no response whatsoever. When the order did arrive it was wholly misconfigured. It took about a week to get my £9 fast delivery refunded. And now a couple of weeks after my displeasure has died down and gone away I get a threatening letter. I had moved on from feeling bad about Screwfix - and they decided to relight the fuse.

Why was this threatening letter so necessary? I can understand them having a problem with someone doing what I did in terms of getting the domain name, no problem there. But they could have approached it a bit more diplomatically IMHO, and I'd have been very happy to transfer the domain to them on their request - I would have been doing them a favour by taking a domain name out of circulation that could potentially be used to damage their reputation. But now, sod them - even if they can get nominet to listen to their whingeing and effect a transfer they can have the maximum amount of inconvenience I can make available.

The threatening letter would have probably been appropriate if I had published something on that domain which they had an issue with. Then I would expect their legal team to be threatening me if I didn't remove it, and I would probably deserve the consequences.

I might add that had Screwfix dealt with this situation sympathetically instead of aggressively I would almost certainly have been singing their praises here and elsewhere about what a great company they are to deal with despite their occasional shortcomings. It does seem so silly that they cannot grasp the simple concept that customers are worth looking after.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Not defending screwfix since they obviously made a mistake, but, you do seem to be assuming that the letter about the domain name is in some way connected to the rest of the saga.

Chances are, screwfix employ a company to keep watch over their online trade names and web presence. I would of thought the chances of them even being aware of particular order / delivery problems and disputes is slim.

(must admit I am surprised they did not already have the sux variant registered though ;-)

So ask yourself how you feel about the situation had the domain name letter not been received?

Reply to
John Rumm

Personally I can't see any threat. They only seem to hint that if you defame them, they will defend themselves.

I think your experience, although unfortunate, is just a symptom of dealing with a large faceless callcentre & warehousing operation.

Reply to
Toby