Subject Author Posted Replies

Crawling boards - lightweight material?
This may be the year I get to sort out some issues with the plastic roof. Includes cleaning, but also some flashings and cable runs. The roof is supported by 5"2s at 42" centres. Threads in the past...
9
9

How do you clean laminate wooden floor?
I am lucky that previous tenant installed laminate wooden floor in my council flat. It is still reasonably ok, but it starts to show its age. Cleaning it is a mess. It attracts a lot of dust and...
2
2

Stud/Voltage Finder
Any recommendations? My 20-odd year old Lidl seems to have developed a mind of its own, giving random false positives and wildly sensitive positives. The reviews at Screwfix etc seem to be mixed.
5
5

An IKEA question
I am planning to install a large IKEA cabinet, involving a suspension rail. At the moment there is a socket in the wall which will need to be removed or relocated. I am wondering about asking an...
16
16

Vertical blinds weights "chain" advice
Fitted a nice set of vertical blinds in the bedroom, to replace curtains. Very happy with my measurements and choice of material - quite the candidate for automation. However, there seems to be an...
8
8

Small, stainless, wood screws
Can anyone recommend and/or suggest where to buy small (as in 3mm or thereabouts) stainless steel wood screws? Searching for them just throws up lots of hits for what are just ordinary self-tapping...
21
21

Parkside 12 volt compatibility
I have recently bought a (Lidl) "PARKSIDE PERFORMANCE® Perceuse-visseuse sans fil 12 V" and really like it. It's compact, it has a proper self-locking chuck, and it was a reasonable price. It says...
1
1

OT: An Electric Vehicle Owner Speaks Out...
This EV owner has appealed for his unfortunate experience to be a warning to others contemplating buying an electric car. Take heed, and learn from his experience if you are wise....
118
118

Volts: up or down
EDF is trying to persuade me to switch to a cheaper tariff - my contract is up in two months. They even promise to refund the early exit fee if I do so. But I'm minded to wonder whether in fact they...
5
5

Wiring - lightswitch
I was thinking about replacing a lightswitch but when I looked behind there are three red wires - one joined to one terminal and two joined to the other. There is also a black wire that just seems to...
17
17

How do you tell if bricks are facing or engineering?
I've had a store of left over new bricks since the extension in 2012. The reds are obviously facing - I can see them in the external walls - but I have no recollection of where the yellow bricks were...
1
1

Amidst the furore over Ramadan and Easter,
I bring you an absolutely contemporary Easter message...
16
16

Cable tie fixings for painted concrete outside?
I want to fix something to the external "fence" which is in fact stacked concrete gravel board, painted with external paint. At the moment I have stick on cable tie fixings on plastic, and drill and...
11
11

3D printer.
I need to get one. Main use will be cases and frames and possibly scale parts. Probably polylactic acid only. Would like a pretty fine resolution. Probably a £500 limit on the grounds that I will not...
10
10

Vehicle Electronics and Water[1]
Is it my imagination or do there seem to be many more drownings in motor vehicles than there used to be? People caught in flash floods or trying to navigate inundated roads who end up trapped in their...
66
66