Amidst the furore over Ramadan and Easter,

I bring you an absolutely contemporary Easter message...

:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Unsupported protocol

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite.

Reply to
David

It's a http:// URL, so why is your browser trying to use https:// ?

Besides that, the server is terribly weak when you do speak https:// to it ...

Reply to
Andy Burns

No. Since there is no reason to use either. It is unencrypted... as in :

etc.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't aware that it responded to https at ALL.

Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to vps.templar.co.uk. Peer using unsupported version of security protocol.

Error code: SSL_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED_VERSION

The page you are trying to view cannot be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified. Please contact the web site owners to inform them of this problem.

This web site might not support the TLS 1.2 protocol, which is the minimum version supported by Firefox.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Honestly, it would be best to block port 443 ...

run the ssllabs.com server test on it for chapter and verse

Reply to
Andy Burns

I thought I had actually

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ok. Here. Firefox tells me an https site is not available but runs happily on http

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Most servers these days only operate https and redirect http requests to https, which is fairly trivial to do. Almost certainly, if you send an http URL by mistake (or experiment) instead of https, the transaction goes on in https without even bothering to point out the mistake. My old links to http still work fine (in https) in most cases.

And encryption does move on, old versions get deprecated and then dropped. Stop using Internet Explorer...

Reply to
Joe

If you have the sever set up for https as well yes it is, But its not usual for the CLENT to do that, unasked for

Almost certainly, if you send an

That is all true but not the issue here.

The moment you start using encryption, the issue of authentication rears its ugly head: That site is at leats 15 years old and it would be a paint to make it https when there is no need for it to be.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I like it. Pity I don't know anybody I can send it to who wouldn't either ask who is Alexa or be offended by it.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Offended? I cant think why...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think originally based on a joke company name article in a 'New Society' magazine, which also included the next-day delivery Scottish fish company, 'Salmon rushed to Ye.'

Clive Arthur

It's a picture. It doesn't have to have any SSL or https bollocks. Things like that just encourage people to bypass all the security stuff so they can get on with their lives. The same with annoying EU cookie bollocks. Maybe we should have a referendum to leave the EU.

Reply to
Max Demian

No, it won't, but the server gets an http request and returns a redirect instruction to the client, accompanied by the correct https URL.

Try it, use your bank's URL without the 's', and you will immediately see your 'http' in the browser address bar replaced by 'https'. As I said, most of the external links on my intranet home page are still http, but they work.

Whether they *should* work is open to debate, like whether a DNS server should return an A record when given a bare domain name. Most do, returning the www A record.

Reply to
Joe

Currently Firefox, by default I think, will automatically change 'http' to 'https'. That can be disabled. I'm assuming other current browsers are similar.

Reply to
Joe

Its disabled here. I don't remember doing it though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher