Subject Author Posted Replies

Starter relay and huge power consumption?
I bought a (new, aftermarket replacement) starter relay for a vintage Vauxhall (GM/Opel) (which was mis-sold as a starter solenoid, but nevermind) with the intention of using it for another purpose, a...
5 days ago 27

Email server settings
Can somebody tell me... Our web host had us using (for example) for email server settings whereas Thunderbird et al autodetects Both seem to work equally well. But when they move us to a different...
5 days ago 6

Who would have thought
looks like a more sensible system ..... ring mains are weird...tee hee Do you not mean "wired" Brian On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 11:23:58 +0100 That gibberish means something? no yes The bloke at the end of...
5 days ago 15

ever had this problem ? ...
5 days ago

OT: The price of depending on interconnects WTWDBATSDS
it is of immediate relevance to Brexit, and no doubt all the Remainers will be crowing, it does make the longer point that being dependent on supplementing our own electricity supply with terawatts of...
5 days ago 24

MIG welding question
in message: +1 One of my many projects is to restore the (large number of) 1930s steel, Crittall, casements in my house, and the wooden frames they sit in. The problems are that the windows have...
6 days ago 9

Name that screw
in message: Set screw in message: Or machine screw? in message: This tale is becoming akin to D i m 's regular treaties on rupture-seal or whatever... I have a need to find a replacement screw Luckily...
6 days ago 86

What polarity should I use to charge the cordless battery on my Black & Decker 9.6v drill
What polarity should I use to charge the cordless battery on my Black & Decker 9.6v drill. I lost the adapter that came with it. I have a multi volt adapter with a polarity switch. What polarity...
6 days ago 2

Wifi repeater WN3500NP and virtual MACs
Trying to improve my wifi coverage, I have just bought a used Netgear WN3500NP repeater. It just connects to my main router (OpenWRT) via wifi and provides an additional access point further away. All...
6 days ago 4

OT - What will be completely unacceptable in 100 years - or even 50
In another thread Tim put together a list of things, where attitudes have changed over the years. For completeness I have copied it below ================================== Many many people actively...
6 days ago 123

OT Geothermal energy
On Wed, 21 Oct 2020 04:51:34 -0700 (PDT), harry Been talked about for several decades. The Rosemanowes 'hot rocks' project in Cornwall in the 1970's was one such. came to anything, even though it was...
6 days ago 8

TOT Unusual emergency vehicle
Just off the M27 near J7 yesterday morning. A black or very dark green Land Rover with sirens and blue lights. On top were two or three short ladders the same colour as the vehicle. The Land Rover...
6 days ago 14

Scottish government delay smoke alarm legislation until 2022
From BBC News : New legislation which requires all homes in Scotland to have interlinked smoke and carbon monoxide alarms will be delayed until 2022. The moves followed criticism from Age Scotland and...
6 days ago 38

OT: Interesting paper critising UK Gov approach to Covid-19
I'm not convinced that Sage got all that much wrong. The evidence for susceptibility is fairly strong in the way that it ran through the various cruise ships like a knife through butter and that...
6 days ago 15

Boris bridge
1 week ago