OT: An Electric Vehicle Owner Speaks Out...

This EV owner has appealed for his unfortunate experience to be a warning to others contemplating buying an electric car. Take heed, and learn from his experience if you are wise....

Cursitor Doom

Well we tried to tell people.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I've seen this video some weeks back. It's long and tedious and he likes the sound of his own voice - he keeps promising details but then rattles on about something else.

The actual details can be found at

What you do miss is his complaints about the inconvenience and time taken to charge if on a journey.

Paid £120k for the EV 3 years ago. Dealer doesn't want it back in part exchange for ICE car. The new model of the EV has been released and the dealer has too many unsold older models on his forecourt. Second hand value of the car from the companies that "buy anything" is around £40k and falling fast (lowest quote was less than £27k).

Observation. I run and ad blocker on my browser. If I cut and paste the the original link I get no adverts. If I click on the original link I do get adverts.

Reply to
alan_m

That guy is renowned for his stupid youtube videos - buys a top end luxury EV and then makes money to pay for it by knocking his purchase. Very entertaining for the tin foil hat brigade. Personally having owned EVs for the last 7 years I would never go back to a primitive oil burning appliance.

Reply to
Andy Bennett

I got that impression a few minutes in and decided that I had better way to spend 25 minutes of my time.

High end cars have always lost value quickly, often halving in value when first driven out of the dealership.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Don't watch the video in the link, people! Nothing to see here, move on, move on! ;->

Reply to
Dan Green

Ditto. I’ve just looked at my fuel cost for my EV last year. 16,000 miles for under £300.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

The virtue is oozing out of your piety

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wait till you have to pay excise duty on the electricity/buy a new battery/try to sell the car

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was all this home charging or did you have to wait many hours charging during journeys?

But in 5 or 10 years time is the cost of running a EV going to be as cheap as the Government would need to claw back the 25+ billion currently obtained from fuel duty and road fund taxes.

An EV may make sense today, cost of fuel wise, but when you need to replace it will the same be true. Is this golden age for having a EV in much the same way as early adopters of solar were given generous bribes in the way of FIT payments?

Reply to
alan_m

My primitive oil burning appliance has a 600+ mile range and can recharge in minutes. When an EV can match that, I might consider one, but I will probably be dead long before that happens.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I've driven an EV for a few weeks and it was fine.

But I wouldn't own one unless someone else dealt with the overheads.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Less the countless billions to upgrade the grid.

And you still need to address the elephant in the room about somehow or other reversing millennia of common law and giving private houses the rights over the public highway where they don't exist today.

Always illuminating to see what *isn't* being talked about.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Buys a Taycan. Has buyers remorse. My surprised face.

You're supposed to buy those and hold them, and when the market is right... make your move. You're not walking down to the pawn shop after a bad day, and trying to get a pittance for it. The £27k, by the way, is intended as an insult by the buyer. The battery pack is worth that much, parted out.

*******

"At the moment, electric cars are thought to retain about 48% of their original value after three years, which puts them marginally ahead of the combustion engine counterparts."

Wow. A blood bath. Even a posh ICE isn't a safe buy.

Glad I bought a pedal bicycle :-) When stolen, my bicycle is worth roughly 3% of the purchase price (a days drugs for one of our fine citizens).

*******

See, there is full disclosure. You don't have to look that far.

"TL, DR: It's a crapshoot. :) Buy it, drive it, enjoy it, expect to lose money on it no matter what you buy. "

Looking at a recent battery curve, a Tesla Model S is looking like 13 years to 70% capacity. Maybe the owner would then get another 4 years out of it, before that particular pack wasn't practical. Capacity is linear over a portion of the curve, but the capacity loss accelerates a bit near the end.

There are multiple battery chemistries in the fleet, and it'll be interesting to see how the two pack types in the Model 3 pan out. One of them should last 3 or 4 years longer than the other (the longer life battery pack car [LFP], has slightly less acceleration).

The Taycan owner has nothing to complain about. It's still a ride. It still drives. Imagine you're one of these people... This could be one of the cars without a heat pump and a heating/cooling loop for temperature control on the pack. You want to check your ride is properly constructed (uses same components as fleet average uses). I wonder what the resale value of this is.

Would the owner of one of these, be wibbling about the economics ? Even a Nigerian oil prince would think twice. Think of the tyres this would go through, and what a set of tyres would cost.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Autotrader, Taycan, 2022, private sale: prices range from £55k to £98.5k

So even simply throwing up an advert there should get him a better price than We Buy Any Car are offering (who are just buying up stock for BCA auctions).

Theo

Reply to
Theo

However, if you want to make a video about how much your car has depreciated, WBAC is the place to go for a price.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

I got 50% after 7 years on a TD5 country station wagon Defender

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Even then I wouldnt essentially because of the other downsides like how long they last and the problem with heating and cooling for pax comfort and stuff like defrosting the windscreen etc.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Nothing beats a tank of diesel for energy density. And the recharge rate is around 6MW. Which is going to be 6kV at 1000 amps.

Reply to
Tim Streater

EVers don't seem to appreciate the fact that the rest of us are paying taxes so they can enjoy subsidies on their economically non-viable cars. That won't last much longer, though...

Reply to
Dan Green