Electric wire sticking out of wall

I have an electric cable sticking out of the wall fairly near the boiler in my kitchen. I am assuming it is a live wire as it has some tape covering the end. It's near the ceiling. I have only just noticed this and would like to get it terminated. It's poking out of the wall and has obviously been plastered over and painted round at some point by the previous owners ! Am I able to put a blank socket or something over the top of it to tidy this up or am I (probably) being a bit dim ?

Thanks in advance.....

Reply to
Daz

I think you should try and safely establish if it is connected to anything (live or neutral). If live - then what circuit?

Reply to
John

OK if I manage to do that, then what do I do with this cable ?

Reply to
Daz

Isolate it at the other end. Is it a wire, or a cable?

Reply to
Graham.

cooker hood position?

You put a backing box over the cable, and a blanking plate on the front. They look like this, and can be had from Messrs B & Q's most excellent emporium or similar purveyors of quality and discernment.

Owain

... then you fit a box and blanking plate, or a junction box. Yes there are other ways, but simple quick and easy is good.

NT

Reply to
NT

Reply to
dave

I don't think HM Gov sell electric bits but they do have a similarly difficult to navigate unco-ordinated clutch of websites.

QVC are miles ahead of either.

Owain

Reply to
Owain