Electrical boxes sticking out too far

Hi, I am doing an extensive home remodel on my 1970s built home. It has the old ugly wood paneling that just had to go! I went through ripping it out. I repaired the drywall where I needed to and then painted it. After I was done and while gazing at my handy work I realized my light switches and socket boxes are now protruding. DUH! When I removed my quarter inch paneling now I'm dealing with my outlets sticking out a quarter of an inch from the walls. How could I of been so stupid to not think of that before! I have tried taking a dremmal to them after a good half hour or more and several bits I managed to shave one of the boxes down (they are metal) a bit. However upon trying to put the faceplate on it still sticks out and is hideous. I have tried hammering it in to no avail. Those suckers are nailed/screwed in tight. Am I the only amateur who could make such a mistake? Is there anything I can possibly do? Any advice would be helpful. If I'm completely out of luck I guess my only option will be to dremmal them all down but I can't imagine how many bits and countless hours that would take to do all of the outlets throughout my house. I am hoping there is a trick or at least better idea than I've been able to come up with. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated thank you.

Reply to
Omi

Do Not Cut Them Down! By cutting them down you're removing the mounting holes for the outlets and switches themselves, these are separate and different from the cover plate mounting holes.

- Also, you could end up creating eventual shorts, arcs and fires by introducing friction points to wear off wire insulation if the outlet or switch has to then be jammed into the box, pinching the wires excessively to the back of the box. VERY BAD!

- Instead, picture frame the boxes with coping or small/thin molding and re-attach the cover plates. There are other much more involved options, but you wouldn't be able to handle it with your level of skill. Finally, you can also re-install the paneling and just paint it.

Reply to
Anonymous