drywall keeps cracking

2 questions re: drywall:

  1. there is a section of one of our rooms where we recently replaced the drywall due to cracking. I noticed recently that there are cracks appearing along the lines of the joints. No one has pushed against this wall so I am assuming that there is moisture behind the wall which has caused the mud to loosen and crack.

If I want to re-tape/mud the joints, should I use paper or mesh tape? Also, I am thinking that if I put a few support screws into studs near the joints, it will give added support.

  1. The wall behind my bed has cracks (again along joint lines) directly behind where my wife and I rest our heads. Obviously, the weight of our melons :) is causing this. Like above, if I screw into some studs near the joints, will this give me added support?

Thanks

Reply to
Konyoman

Drywall seams crack because of movement, not moisture.

What did you use in the joints the first time? Paper is my preference, but some prefer mesh.

The more screws the better... Don't really need them less than 10" apart. These won't help if the walls are shifting though.

Screws won't help if the walls themselves are flexing.

Reply to
Noozer

If drywall can move it will crack. I have had good luck with mesh tape. Fix the flexing first. Then worry about the patch.

Reply to
SQLit

check for the water leak under your house foundations. you can keep replacing drywall until the side of your house slips away if you like.

Reply to
Saus29