Removing bitumen (?) paint from bricks

Hi, I've built an extension and an outside wall is now inside. I want to paint the wall white. The wall has been painted by the previous owners with some thick black bitumen paint.
Trying to remove some using a wire brush on a drill or a 4" grinder does remove some of it but leaves a smear that can be removed quite well with a rag and some petrol!
There is a quite alot of this wall so: do I need to remove this stuffbefore painting? if I do, is there a quicker/better way than wire brushing?
Thank you
nafuk wrote:

Job from hell. Nitromors type strippers work well, and aren't that dear if you buy in bulk from a trade supplier, but the fumes will kill you indoors. ISTR that pliolite paints have reasonable adhesion to bitumen but you'd need to check with http://www.johnstonestrade.com / or similar.

Almost nothing sticks to bitumen, so you need to either remove it or blind it. Paraffin dissolves it, so if you can wipe it off ok then paraffin's your thing.
NT

Coat the stuff in paraffin and immediatly use a power washer on it,you might have to repeat the process a couple of times but it takes the pain out of doing it rigoressly.
George wrote:

Should be fun indoors

might
of
I'm going on the assumption of as he has just built the extension it will be still the barebones of concrete floor and bricks and mortar. :-P
George wrote:

Hope so. It's going to get quite messy by the sound of it :-) I once stripped a whole gable end wall with paint stripper (15 litres in all IIRC), which was much faster and easier than I thought. The paint came off cleanly in 4" strips and could just be swept up dry at the end of the day.

Thank you for the replies. It is still bare bones. Does anyone know if there is a paint stripper that will deal with bitumen paint? Otherwise it the angle grinder wire brush and paraffin, and a lot of time. Cheers
nafuk wrote:

Any stripper in a metal can should do it. Whether it will lift in quite the same way paint does I'm not sure. Get a small can from one of the sheds and try it.
nafuk wrote:

Pressure washer?
replying to Stuart Noble, Ami wrote: What kind of paint stripper did you use please?
replying to nafuk, plasterken wrote: diesel oil melts it, then use low odour white spirits to mop up ( when diesel is spilt on roads it turns it to sugar effect a0
On Wednesday, 17 August 2016 01:14:03 UTC+1, plasterken wrote:

I suspect after 9 years he wouldn't need this advice. Do yourself a favour: http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub
NT
replying to tabbypurr, Heather wrote: No but I did thanks
huh? Good old home shower fclub foot and its lack of quoting and dodgy dating strikes again. Brian
--
----- -
On Thursday, 31 August 2017 17:14:06 UTC+1, Heather wrote:

This is uk.d-i-y. Get here via a sane portal, for your own sake.
NT
On Friday, 3 August 2007 10:36:09 UTC+1, nafuk wrote:

Hire a sand blaster.
On Wed, 17 Aug 2016 00:01:06 -0700 (PDT), harry

Do the dates of these old posts not show up for you Harry? The one you've just replied to is almost exactly nine years old.
--

Chris