How to get paint off concrete lintels?

Blowtorch? Hot air gun? Chemicals?
Bill
On 16/04/17 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:

bead blasting or sand blasting

Which will work well - but create quite a bit of mess and possibly damage the the frames and pointing (IME of sandblasting).
Also, IME, it would cost a fair bit for a small area. I had asked for a trial run on a whole house front - total cost £600, trial area £200. Might be worth it if you're having several done - paint removal is not one of life's pleasures.
As to an alternative - dunno! I'd be interested too.
--
Cheers, Rob

Bill Wright wrote:

    Wickes paint stripper. Probably a couple of goes and lots of rinsing with the application of a wire brush. Been tempted by a sandblasting gun for the compressor, but haven;t used one yet.
Bits of paint or the whole thing painted? Sandblasting works quite well but I doubt you want th4e Sahara desert in the workshop. Brian
--
----- -
on 16/04/2017, Bill Wright supposed :

I had paint and sealant marks on the bricks where painted wooden windows frames had been replaced with double glazing. I managed to remove most of it with a cup wire brush on an angle grinder. It left some steel abraded from the brush, on the brick work, but that soon disappeared.
I suppose one could paint it concrete colour so nobody would notice. Brian
--
----- -

Brian
Seen that done recently, I watched some painters rollering the pillars and portico on some of the recently built houses on a new build. Apparently the y were covering over mortar stains and imperfections in the stonework. A lo t depends on what type of paint was used originally gloss for instance woul d need to be removed whilst most masonry paints could probably be over pain ted.
Richard
On Sunday, 16 April 2017 02:52:08 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:

Just leave it, the paint will drop off in time. If you can cope with it looking rough meanwhile.
NT

I've been waiting 30 years! Yes, it is dropping off, but much too slowly. I can get some of it off with a pressure washer!
Bill
Yes its the pores in the concrete you find it stuck in which is how sandblassting works well, as it removeds a bit of the surface as well.
Brian
--
----- -
On 16/04/2017 13:29, Bill Wright wrote:

Repaint it with concrete coloured paint and don't tell anyone:-)
--
Adam

On 16/04/2017 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:

surprised no one told you not to use blow torch, concrete really explodes with a very hot heat source.
On 16/04/2017 14:19, critcher wrote:

Good info!
Bill
On 16/04/2017 02:52, Bill Wright wrote:

Much depends on the type of paint and how you want the finish on the concrete to look once done. A brass wire cup brush on an angles grinder is gentler than you might expect and good for getting stuff off less than perfect surfaces.
If you have access to a compressor, then you can get small hand held grit blasting guns. They are somewhat slower and less aggressive than you might expect though.
--
Cheers,

John.
On 16/04/2017 17:17, John Rumm wrote:

Should have also added a needle "scaler" type pneumatic tool may also work well.
--
Cheers,

John.
John Rumm was thinking very hard :