Twist drill set

Well, I've definitely lost my spare set of HSS twist drills in the house move (but I did find my cold chisels while I looked for them!) and since I broke one (3.5mm) yesterday, I'd like another set.

I don't want to buy some no-name cheapo Chinese ones made of cheese.

Anyone recommend a decent set from a known manufacturer?

For example;

Huge

I've had a Bosch TiN coated 1-10mm set for a few years, only managed to snap the 3mm one (replaced it with a cobalt one) I do have a few fractional mm smaller sizes, but would have little need for them all the way up.

OTOH you *can* buy a lot of gold-coloured cheese for a few quid and treat them as consumable/mislayable

Reply to
Andy Burns

Last year I bought "DeWalt Extreme 2 HSS Drill Bit Set 29Pc" from Axminster - they are staggeringly good BUT are quite aggressive so easier to use them in a pillar drill than hand held.

Reply to
nospam

That looks pretty good value if the usual Makita high quality. Lidl sometimes do an 0.5 - 10mm set in a steel case at a bargain price. Bought a few sets - so dunno if they've been on offer recently. They are fine for normal use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I'm not greatly enamored of DeWalt after the shitty electric screwdriver I bought; no torque, crap battery life. OTOH, the boots are very good!

Reply to
Huge

I've been buying the Milwaukee twinpacks of individual sizes from Toolstation to replace the ones I break in my Chinesium jobbing set and they're very good. Dunno if they do a full box - not got a catalogue to hand.

Reply to
Scott M

Lidl had sets of drill bits last month 1.5?10mm 12 sizes 15 pieces in plastic case. Also wood drill bits, masonry bits, and driver bits in similar cases, £3.90 or thereabouts.

Reply to
DJC

Chinesium! Marvellous. :o)

Reply to
Huge

They might as well have had pet unicorns for all the good that does. I'll just go back in time and buy some, shall I?

Reply to
Huge

+1

The only thing I have that is DeWalt are my boots. The last SDS DeWalt was shit and the boots are not as good as they used to be.

I am back on Makita and Bosch tools.

And the trousers will always be Snickers.

Reply to
ARW

That's the one. I find them fine for general use - especially at the price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You get Lidl/Aldi to send you emails giving their special offers each week. These drill sets come up regularly, and don't have a 'use by' date.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I dont know that these tin coated and cobalt drill bits are worth any extra. I tried a cobalt drill bit in a circular saw blade once and I might as well have been pissing in the wind.

Reply to
fred

Which is fine if there is a convient Lidl, there isn't. I don't recall seeing twist drill sets in Aldi, tip and spur, yes but dubious looking quality.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Nor here. The Lidl "store finder" won't even suggest one.

Reply to
Huge

I get fed up with "store finders" that get it stupidly wrong.

I am in East Kent and get told that a branch of 'X' is only 20 miles away.

Yeah. In Southend. If I had a boat.

Reply to
Bob Eager

LOL. When we were looking for houses within 5 miles of the North Somerset coast, I got so pissed off with Rightmove suggesting houses in South Wales, I wrote them a snotty email. They did say they were going to fix it, but I haven't looked recently.

Reply to
Huge