OT: An Electric Vehicle Owner Speaks Out...

By definition, any law passed by a country is legal.

That was the first charge brought against him and it alleges that he helped Chelsea Manning crack a password hash, to allow Manning to use a different user name to download the documents. Whether or not he did it, is something that the Courts would need to decide. As it only accounts for five years of the 170 he faces if convicted of every charge, I doubt it is anything to do with plea bargaining.

If that were true, the extradition proceedings would already have failed.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Surely you need to add to that the percentage battery life/cost used?

Any idea what that might be?

Reply to
AnthonyL

In 2022, 7-year old EVs had lost about 5% capacity. However, battery technology has improved and it is likely that current cars will be better than that at the same age.

Reply to
SteveW

Isn't it more like 2.5 to 3% per year and more to do with charging regimes and not trying to get the maximum range from the battery too often

Reply to
alan_m

If you Believe in EVs, the fact that the numbers simply don't add up is not a subject of great interest.

Only companies that run car fleets tend to do total cost of ownership calculations. Or, if they are to lazy, simply lease the cars for a fixed annual cost.

Try looking at a lease cost of any EV versus a similar IC to get an idea. Its also a good way to insulate yourself from ownership hassles, and always drive the latest models

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

1-2% per year, but it flattens out after a while:
Theo

Wrong, most obviously when the law is unconstitutional.

That's not hacking.

No court can decide that the earth is flat.

Or more strictly the court can decide that but that has no meaning.

They can agree to drop the espionage charge which has no chance of succeeding, if he pleads guilty to the hacking charge which has a MUCH lower penalty. That's how plea bargains work.

Wrong when the UK authoritys are pandering to the USA because they don't agree with what he did.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I didnt realise we had a Supreme Court Judge on here. Legal Minds in the USA Attorneys Office, and the UK Prosecutor, must be losing sleep that such a great mind is ready to defend Assange, and prove he is both innocent and held illegally.

Reply to
Alan Lee

The sentence is irrelevant, he will die soon after arriving in the USA.

Reply to
Joe

Not by any judicial process, as he won't be extradited if that is a possibility. In any case, spending the rest of his life in an American prison would probably be a better deterrent to others thinking of following in his footsteps.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

On 04/04/2024 17:56, Rod Speed wrote: ...

If a law is vetoed by a president, or fails to get royal assent etc. then that law has not been passed.

If a supreme court decides that the law is not lawful or is unconstitutional or similar, it is still law until that decision is made.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Colin Bignell snipped-for-privacy@bignellremovethis.me.uk> wrote

Pity about passed laws which are found by the supremes to be unconstitutional.

But isnt after it has been found to be unconstitutional.

Reply to
Rod Speed

I am at least glad that we have agreed on the two points that Assange is in prison without having been tried. It only remains to agree on the other matter I raised, of how long he has been so imprisoned. The answer appears to be about five years.

It is of course open to anyone to argue that five years in prison without trial is a fair and reasonable judicial process.

Reply to
Handsome Jack

He imprisoned himself.

Reply to
Tim Streater

At the moment, I don't think a belief system is involved.

The middle class don't want a ten year loan to pay for the car.

As always, people shop on price.

One of the questions here, is "whether a variant is actually in production". I think on of the companies on the chart, is out of business.

Lots of cars are missing from the graph. Not all are represented. Couldn't find the Taycan.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

He is only there because of his previous actions of trying to flee justice.

He brought that on himself by absconding while on bail.

Reply to
Colin Bignell

Or a module that plugs into a hole in the vehicle.

That's another way to "get 6MW", a module that charges in the storage room on a line cord, and when full, is put on display at the service station.

There was one French offering, of a battery in a two-wheel cart, that you tow behind the vehicle. This might be a practical option for one of those low-end EVs that don't have a big battery inside. Of course, they might not have towing capacity either.

Maybe a rental cart with 450-600 kWh on wheels, would do the job.

Or chop the cab down a bit on this one, and make a personal vehicle out of it :-) The batteries seem to fit into trays that slide into that thing behind the cab.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

That's not the reason for the 5 year delay in deciding whether to extradite him.

Reply to
Rod Speed

And not parkable by most drivers, let alone reversing.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Much of that is due to negotiations with the USA to ensure that he gets the same rights at trial as a US citizen and that does not face the death penalty if he is extradited.

Reply to
Colin Bignell