Subject Author Posted Replies

Daft dishwasher idea
My Siemens dishwasher threw up a E15 Fault a few nights ago. Thanks to YouTube I found a few videos that pointed me to the Aquastop feature where a small sump triggers a float. I gained access to it...
1 week ago 9

OT: Best selection of accents ever
1 week ago

How to seal CH oil pipe joints
in message: There's some paste stuff... Googling..... in message: Heldite. There are others... in message: Soldered joints are not *allowed*... I guess this has been asked before but "seal" and "oil"...
1 week ago 5

Boiler problem: Pump or Thermostat
I have an ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF55, about 35 years old. It has generally been as good as gold, but we will replace it in about 18 months. For 6 months we've noticed that the boiler case gets...
1 week ago 6

Boiler Problem: Pump or Thermostat?
I have a truly ancient Potterton Kingfisher CF55, probably about 35 years old. It has generally been as good as gold, but we are planning to replace it in about 18 months time. For 6 months we've...
1 week ago 5

Covering dark paint
in message: As long as it's the same colour? :-D in message: On coving? Rriigghhtt..... in message: Whoosh Many years ago we painter the coving in our lounge a dark green (Farrow & Ball). SWMBO now...
1 week ago 13

chasing electrical boxes
In the past I've used the angle grinder to chase out electrical back boxes and have created an amazing amount of dust. Today I tried a new method (for me) I purchased a couple of these for my...
1 week ago 28

Joys of buying no-name from Ebay
I try and keep a small stock of 2 part 5 minute glue for the odd repair. Before lock-down my local pound shop would have a suitable product at, surprisingly, a pound :) During lock-down I ran out of...
1 week ago 19

Fixing through tiles.
in message: Just use a longer plug... A fixing into a plastered brick wall through tiles. Most of the fixings went well - wall plugs pushed through the tiles into the brick. But one obviously hit the...
1 week ago 20

Scope of wiring regs re: SELV
If I install extra-low voltage wiring, such as bell wire, ethernet, transducer wiring, 12V power supplies for radios or similar, am I obliged to follow the latest wiring regs, specifically about metal...
1 week ago 10

Euro locks - key blocking
in message: So why does anyone bother with multipoint locks ? Hmmmmmm...... in message: FSV of "100%"... in message: Your sons door won't be "locked" in that instance though will it? I've got some...
1 week ago 61

Looks like a new scam
To meet new regulations, Strong Customer Authentication (SCA) is being added into the PayPal login. This means that when you login or pay with PayPal, you may be asked for a one-time code that we send...
1 week ago 71

4 gang wall switches
gang??? seems a strange word, but anyhow:- In the kitchen I have 4 light circuits: ceiling, spots, wall lights and cabinet lights worked at the door by a wide quadrupal wall switch on a normal double...
1 week ago 11

Inline Extractor Fan
Is it better that it is positioned close to the inlet vent or close to the outlet? Better or pushing or pulling air around? Think mine are in the middle. :-) I would suggest noise should be the...
1 week ago 7

Adding a room thermostat
Currently I have a boiler with a controller that simply turns it on (for CH) during pre-programmed hours. Rads have thermostatic valves. I'd like to add a room thermostat in the living room [running...
1 week ago 97