Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

That is a good bargaining point. When I bought my last car, the fourth from the dealer, I had a good price but did not like the trade in money. The salesman said "that is what we'll get at auction" I reminded him my last trades were sold on their lot and this one would be too. He upped the trade and we had a deal. Sometimes you do get a return on maintenance costs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My state's Safety Inspection requirements includes this:

"All brake lines and hoses - check for leaks, cracks, chafing, restrictions, and improper support"

Of course, it also includes this:

"Brake equalization - test vehicle for a straight stop without significant wheel pull."

I don't recall any vehicle I've ever had inspected being driven as part of the inspection process.

On the other hand, I always have my vehicles inspected by one of my 2 trusted indys who know that if the vehicle was pulling, I would have told them about it long before it became a safety Inspection issue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And intake manifolds and gaskets, and timing cover gaskets - and basically anything that moves. In 100,000km I replaced the ball joints and other front end parts twice -0n the TranSport, while never replacing any parts in 240,000km on each of 2 Aerostarrs and 350,000km on the ranger, and over 240,000 on my last Chrysler (88 New Yorker) - and none in 150,000+/- on the PT Cruiser. And wheel bearings - at leasat 6 on the TranSport and none between the 3 Fords and 2 Mopars. A friend has an Impala, a Sierra and a Silverado - and with relatively low mileage on all three, has spent more on repairs on EACH of the vehicles than I have on my last 5. _ and that's not counting the warranty repairs. - and none of mine have had any warranty left when I bought them.

Reply to
clare

And that is TOTALLY different from required or specified "maintenance" And notice it doesn't manage rust - - - as long as it's not leaking "yet" it passes.

Here in Ontario visibly obviously rusted lines can be failed.

EVERY vehicle I ever inspected was driven as part of the inspection - without exception.. However the safety inspection is only required for transfer here in Ontario.

Reply to
clare

It's going to be interesting to see how popular the new Ranger really is. FWIG, the Ranger was discontinued because they were almost as expensive to make as the F150 and they couldn't get anywhere near the price so the margins weren't there. I don't see that as changing.

BTW, I had an '01 Ranger and replaced it with a '13 F150. I probably would have replaced it with a Ranger but I really like the F150. The back seats are actually usable (both extended cabs). ;-)

Reply to
krw

Of course, which is exactly why brake lines should be made from stainless steel and not from crap that starts to rust 3 minutes after installation.

At the time I didn't know I would be risking my life on substandard GM breaking systems.

Reply to
Jack

One more think, if, just because you can hear it in central Ontario doesn't mean the same think here in the states...

Reply to
Jack

I "think" you might be over thinking this....

Reply to
Jack

First I ever heard of that.

Reply to
Jack

Yet, they don't give a damn if your brake lines rot out, or ABS fires off randomly, reducing braking distance in half... Cool beans....

Reply to
Jack

AIUI, brake fluid is hygroscopic.

Reply to
krw

Depends on the type

DOT5 brake fluid is hydrophobic:

nb

Reply to
notbob

I think he might not be, but he might be punning?

Reply to
Markem

The poster clare responded to had incorrectly used 'break' several places in the post where the OP mean to type "brake". Clare was playing on that original post.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Brake fluid is hygroscopic - it attracts moisture -and the moisture can cause corrosion inside the lines and cyls. The water tends to end up in the low spots. On newer vehicles where the master reservoirs are sealed much better thasn in the past (with rubber bellows etc) it is a LITTLE less critical (3 years rather than 2 often recommended). The new synthetic brake fluids stand up a wee bit better too.

Reply to
clare

It was my summation that they realize that it is not in their best interest to build cars that "last forever". This situation seemed to improve when some of the Asian competition started making them look bad.

Reply to
Bill

Brake fluid absorbs moisture. When the master cylinder gets low, because it is not topped of on regular intervals, It becomes contaminated from the moisture in the air. If you have ever rebuilt wheel cylinders or a disk brake caliper, always lubricated with brake fluid, you will often find pitting on the cylinder walls. That is from the moisture in the brake fluid.

Reply to
Leon

Which specific alloy of stainless steel should be used and why that alloy and not some other alloy? Engineering is always a compromise.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Chrysler does the same, steel, my BIL was driving his PU truck and went to hit the brakes.... NOTHING.. the lines blew from rust.

Not sure how the Japanese cars treat their brake components.

Reply to
woodchucker

And a major factor in engineering is economics, always a compromise.

Reply to
krw