Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

Actually, I disagree. It's quite clear that a bag designed for yard-waste would need to be made from a substance that will quickly break down into environmentally benign byproducts. That precludes petroleum-based bags.

Yard waste, right? They compost it, so the bags must also be compostable.

Of course, since they'd contaminate the compost.

The bags are designed to be biodegradable.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Never, at least not with this truck.

The break lines have no problem withstanding pressure, until they RUST! There is no excuse not to use break lines that don't rust. Exhaust system were/are notorious rusters when made of steel. They rust from the inside because of all the crap, including water expelled from the engine, and laying in the pipes. Break lines don't have to battle all that crap and could easily be made not to rust for the life of the car.

Between the brake lines rusting and the ABS braking system failing repeatedly, GM should have been sued out of business. BTW, it only cost $700 to have all the brake lines replaced on that truck, and that was a few years ago, and at a garage, not a dealer. Would have been more at the dealer.

My daughter and son both had Chevy Cavaliers in college and brake lines rusted out on both cars. I've been driving for 56 years and never replaced brake lines until this GM truck and the two Cavaliers my kids had. That's 3 for 3... good job there GM. Our screwed up government fines VW a $billion or more for fudging MPG on a few cars, but could care less that the brakes on GM products SUCK big time.

My brother has a '95 Ford truck and brake lines are fine. GM is a no sale for me and my family. My wife has a VS Passat, my daughter a Ford and Son a VW Jetta I think it is. If I ever buy another truck, it will be a Ford, or a Toyota, leaning towards the Toyota although the aluminum Ford sounds rust free, something I would like a lot.

Reply to
Jack

I think you'll find it common for less than 17 people participating in any given thread. I might add most of the threads seem to be started by the Comet, who those 17 people seem to hate because he doesn't punctuate to their liking...

Don't see how that's a control issue, but OK.

Well, the topic has evolved away from sawstop and into other topics. I too was not very interested in the sawstop issue for the same reason you pointed out, but found some vague interest in it's off topic evolution.

Off topic evolution is another control freak issue some try to control, but can't. Myself, if I'm interested enough, I might participate. Otherwise I don't. Simple.

Reply to
Jack

The catalytic converters, are not different from the ones use to make sulphuric acid, so we eliminate CO, and make acid that eats metal.

Reply to
Markem

I actually was referring that any one should be able to make the bag like the city wants. But the city approved poiduct is so substandard that no reputable company would want to put their names on it.

Yes, but the bag does not really need to decompose faster than the contents. These bags are not totally unlike the thin produce bags that you find in the grocery to bag your vegetables. Ultra thin. There are many other brand non approved bags that are stronger and specifically designed to decompose. And just to state again, the approved bags must not get wet as their decomposition begins immediately with the presence of moisture. If they set out side for more than a day or two they will come apart.

Maybe not. I don't think paper bags would contaminate yard trash.

Understood, but they have to last at least a few days and hold more than

2 bushels.
Reply to
Leon

Just on small think - Brake lines only "break" when they rust Then they are still not "break lines" they are "broken brake lines" Break lines are the visible signs of breakage.

Reply to
clare

Since sulphur has been removed from motor fuel there is no sulphuric or sulphurous acid produced by current catalytic converter equipped vehicles, and even standard steel exhausts now outlast the best systems of 25 years ago - while stainless steel systems should be virtually life-time systems. (My GM TranSport had well over half a million KM on the factory system, and it would have likely gone another 500,000km if the vehicle could have kept up to it. My current 21 year old Ford Ranger is at 350,000km and the exhaust is like new, hear in the central Ontario salt-bowl.

Reply to
clare

The catalytic converters in question were from the mid 70's, not current ones. And it was soon after that the exhaust systems were maid from stainless steel.

Reply to
Leon

They are or should be an inspection item.

That you did your own maintenance and repair does not mean that you did it right. Did you perform every maintenance item that the service manual specified?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Never occurs to you that the stresses something needs to withstand affect the choice of alloy to be used, does it?

As for the rest, why did you buy a GM product to begin with?

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm aware of that. I just said the guy who claimed the catalytic converters on cars, and I quote: "make sulphuric acid, so we eliminate CO, and make acid that eats metal." was wrong - and I explained why. I've worked on and with emission controlled vehicles for quite some time - MOSTLY back in the "mid seventies".

Actually, the biggest factor in extended exhaust life - as well as engine life - in the last 100 years is the removal of tetraethyl lead from motor fuels, just as the adittion of it to fuel was the single greatest factor allowing the increase in performance previous to it's removal. Electronic engine controls made it possible to get the performance without the lead. Phosphorous was required to "purge" the lead and produced a lot of corrosion causing waste products. - along with the sulphur.

Reply to
clare

My Ranger's frame only made it through ten Vermont salt seasons and three in the South (with just at half that distance driven). The exhaust was still orignal but the brake lines went the year before the frame.

Reply to
krw

I can tell you from years as a mechanic, including dealer service manager - and the ONLY "maintenance item" to do with brake lines is changing fluid on a regular basis (every 2 to 5 years, depending) and inspecting the rubber hoses for cracks or bulges.

Reply to
clare

The only reason I ever bought a GM product was price - and it sure didn't translate to low COST.

Reply to
clare

I was told that the brake fluid should be replaced on shedule to keep the brake lines from rotting out.

Reply to
krw

I have heard that some brine solutions now used for road treatment have been problematic with rust on cars. I don't know enough about it to draw a conclusion.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

According to the owner's manual for my car, "at every oil change", "Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, brake linings, hoses, and parking brake". Of course it's to your advantage to not check the pads because if they wear out and mangle the rotors then you get to sell the customer rotors in addition to pads. Prince of a guy you are.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's not what the Ford owner's manual says, but then I've never known a dealer service department to actually perform the maintenance that the book says to perform. I remember a Jeep dealer giving me an argument when I asked him to check the brakes. Maybe that was you, did you ever work for Bolles Motors in Ellington?

And are you a certified mechanic or just the kind of "manager" who thinks that the manager doesn't have to understand what his subordinates do?

Reply to
J. Clarke

You were an automotive service manager and you didn't know better?

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's not what my owners' manual says. However I have never seen a dealer service department actually DO all the maintenance items that are called out in the book.

By the way, are you a certified mechanic, or just a pointy-haired boss?

Reply to
J. Clarke