Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Apparently Craftsman was around before Sears acquired it 90 years ago. And now Sears is selling Craftsman tools to Stanley.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/sears-sell-craftsman-tool-brand-stanley-black-decker-140907321--finance.html

Yet another step down.
nb
On 1/5/2017 1:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Yep, not sure how selling off the better selling lines will save Sears. If you sell them, you get quick cash, but then what?
I think Sears will go out of business shortly. Been 2 years that I have been waiting for them to give up. Last Christmas, no one was in the store I went to, while all the other stores were packed.
The craftsman line is not what it once was. Too bad. But don't look to Stanley, B&D to bring it back. They are horrendous at managing the tool lines..
Dewalt, B&D, Milwaukee, Stanley, are all former shells of what they once were. The latest one to drop was Milwaukee, with people lamenting that the quality has dropped.
Even B&D coffee maker sucks now.
I don't see this as a bad thing, nor a good thing.
--
Jeff

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 1:33:36 PM UTC-6, woodchucker wrote:

Does not bode well for quality but I've got a few Craftsman tools and for parts and service I'm glad a company without a foot in the grave will take over.
In article <e53f370e-286c-47b5-96b8-4750c73cc302
says...

I'm kind of tempted to drop the bucks for one of their big mechanic tool sets before they're gone. OTOH, I've been taking the Jeep apart for years now with a 50 buck Harbor Freight set so maybe not.
On 1/8/2017 10:35 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Craftsman will still be around, it is Sears that might disappear. You can get craftsman at 6 other brand stores too.
https://www.craftsman.com/where-to-buy?locationw407
You might also consider Northern Tool for tools too. We have a few of their stores in the Houston area and they, compared to HF, are much nicer and do carry brand name tools.
BUT they have their own brand of sockets and wrenches that resemble the slick chrome that SnapOn sells/used to sell. The wrenches are pretty darn inexpensive and have a life time warranty. I have a few of their wrenches for special use and am impressed for the money.
I bought this particular wrench to replace the wrench that came with the router. Like Craftsman you can buy individual wrenches.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/lcb11211/32151724796/in/dateposted-public/

Up here in Canad Canadian Tire has the best price/quality ratio, particularly if you can wait a few weeks and get what you need on sale. They also sell the Stanley tools - really clunky junk in comparison.
Interesting I got a letter from Sears - been a craftsman club member for (have a card) almost 40 years. Maybe more.
They stated they will be continuing the line in the stores and add new ones as they come out and have B&D there as well. They were paid for the sale and will get more after a big cash payment. Then in 5 years or so Sears will be paying percentage of sales. (3%) All sorts of details...
Time will tell. Don't forget Diehard and other trade names.... Silvertone is long gone.
Martin
On 1/8/2017 11:53 AM, Leon wrote:

as is J.C. Higgins....
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/114356/JC_Higgins_SxS_Shotgun.jpg
http://nbhaa.com/Higgins1.jpg

Hard to forget brand names I avoid like the plague. My boss bought a Diehard marine battery. We hadda replace it within the week.

Thank goodness fer small favors! I once had a Silvertone bass amplifier. Brand new, it was already crap and I returned it to Sears the next day.
Their guitars/basses were made by Dan Electro and they were also junk. I hadda buddy who bragged he'd scored a DE Long-Horn bass. He paid $600 for it and thought he's scored some kinda hot deal. I played it and told him, "This cost about $75USD, new, and it certainly isn't worth that much, now". I found another DE guitar at my jammin' buddy's house. I'm not sure, but I think the high-end strings I gave him ($10 set), to re-string that guitar, were worth more than the guitar.
You see a lotta Dan Electro's in use, these days. The "lipstick" pick-up is held in high esteem by many of today's hipsters. The guitar, itself, is still essentially junk. ;)
nb
On 1/9/2017 8:48 AM, notbob wrote:

FWIW, most all batteries are manufactured by just a few manufacturers. No batteries are exempt from being DOA. Personally I have had good luck with DieHard and what ever brand Toyota sells.

I think Exide leads the charge. One thing I recall is, if ever buy a Yuasa l-a battery, you can bet Yuasa yer gonna be walking. ;)
nb

Sure but, just like appliances, they are made to the seller's specifications and they are treated differently by the retailers before installation.
On 1/10/2017 12:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Exactly! So if you are upset with the quality of a product, blame the importer/retailer that felt that questionable quality would pass, not the country or origin.

Or "possibly" blame yourself for forgetting the rule "if it 's too good to be true, generally it is" - Mabee you paid too little (bought too cheap?)

That leap of logic doesn't work. Well, not exactly. Quite often Chinese made merchandise doesn't even resemble the specs that the (Chinese) manufacturer was given. BTDT. Now if you say that the importer should test to make sure their specs are followed... OK, maybe. There are a lot of specs that are really difficult to test. You can't test in quality.
On 1/10/2017 8:15 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Granted, importers will take what ever sells or will be tough on specs. Chinese Buicks sold here are pretty close to specs, I would say, along with Triton tools, Milwaukee tools, SawStop, Powermatic, etc
Get into the no name stuff from China and all bets are off. This is the stuff yo find at the discount tool stores like Harbor Freight etc.

The key with dealing with the Chinese is that you have to have someone watching over their shoulder, every second. You can't just give them a spec and expect them to ship something that even resembles the spec.

If there is no specification the product can't fail to meet it. ;-)
On Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:01:24 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

The small Tier2 computer manufacturer I worked for 20+ years ago used to import a lot of parts from both Taiwan and mainland China. We had a Taiwanese connection that was supposed to assure quality - emphasise "supposed to"
The first order of a particular part, the whole shipment exceded spec. By the second shipment you'd be lucky if 75% met spec, and the third shipment half were junk. - and were quite likely to be a totally different design.

Confucius sez "Opinions are like assholes... just cuz you have one doesn't mean you need to reveal it to the rest of the world." LOL
I'll just leave these here for you to scoff at:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Danelectro_players

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQmvW9bR_ek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGR3m5Zs9Ic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ2fAP8RwCk