Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

On 1/7/2017 10:17 AM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote: Snip

There may be a fix. ;~) When we moved into the home we had build 6 years ago we switched to Uverse TV, phone and internet. Service was so unreliable that many on our block dropped Uverse when it went out for the 3rd time for 4 straight days. We dropped the TV and eventually the phone. The Uverse DVR does not work like most DVR's, when the service goes down you loose use of recordings in addition to the internet and phone.

Anyway I had a problem with our internet service through Uverse and the repair guy come out to fix their problem. I mentioned that the TV often stopped and he said it was the box on the outside of out house that was the problem but they would not repair that. The box was only 5 years old at the time. He did say that I could have the box replaced for free if I simply upgraded my internet speed to above 24 gig IIRC. The faster speeds required the latest versions of the "box". He indicated that I could upgrade the speed for a month and change back to my previous speed. He stressed that your contract dies not dictate the speed only that you continue service. I was out of contract anyway but it was good to know. I did upgrade my speed to what they now call Fiber at 300 gig and the box was replaced at no extra charge. Very fast and no more TV stopping for a few seconds. Unfortunately for us the internet being 20 times faster than our previous speed is pretty much wasted unless checking my internet speed on a speed test. If we download a TV show through DirecTV it takes a long time still. You still have to wait a little while so that it does not buffer. An On Demand movie might be faster.

Down loading large software updates or programs happens in a snap however. And for a whole my up load was 300gig also they have throttled that back to about 75. I don't see the difference between 300 and 75. It is like trying to distinguish the difference between 1 second and a quarter second.

Any way........ If you can get the newer box your hesitation may stop.

Reply to
Leon

;~) There is more to having a shoe/boot custom made than the length/width of your foot.

I doubt a shoe maker will make a shoe from your measurements unless you prepay and with no guarantee that the shoe will fit.

For a boot, the size of your calf is measured.

Reply to
Leon

My wife wanted something from Wayfair. Price looked OK, but i checked Amazon. It was $20 less and shipped from Wayfair.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

LOL, That is a unique smell created by a highly guarded secret.

Reply to
Leon

Precisely and some people will pay extra just to avoid the HF store smell.. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Rockler and Woodcraft do this too. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

It all depends on the location and the competition if you are over saturated. IIRC in the Houston are there are only 5 large Sears stores left. IMHO that is too many as the 3 closest to me are pretty much empty every time I go in. BUT In Houston there are also many like alternatives. Macy's, JCP and none seem to be doing enough business to remain open. So that sector in the Houston is overly saturated. Not to mention that there are probably thousands of strip centers in the Houston metro area that offer almost the same thing as the department stores like Sears.

Reply to
Leon

I get BB&B 20% coupons every day through e-mail and the only limitation I have run into is that the coupon is good for one item per coupon, most of the time.

Reply to
Leon

You think? LOL In the south we do not relish going from from store in

100 degree heat. I really don't like to park anywhere except in front of the store I want to go into.

I do see the mall as being a benefit when there is snow on the ground. FWIW it was 19 degrees here this morning, while a norm for you northern folks, you probably were not at 84 degrees earlier in the week or expecting to be back near 80 on Wednesday. That is about a 120 degree temp swing in a week.

Ikwa is not designed for the customer to walk in, go straight to what he wants, and straight to the registers. Ikea's here pretty much force you to walk through the whole store, a very convoluted path to get out.

Reply to
Leon

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Sizes aren't standard. Maybe they are in certain sizes, but they are most definitely not standardized in the length my foot is. It is all across the board: one 9 boot was too long, but a 10 from another company is correct. A 9.5 shoe is also right. Oh, and I've got a 10 from the same company that's also the same length as the 9.5.

All I want is a system that's consistent or at the very least based upon measuring the foot at key points so I can measure those key points on my feet and buy a pair of shoes without the whole "will it fit?" game.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've never found that variation. I'd been wearing the same size, 10 1/2

3E for decades across different brands of shoe and sneaker. You may have some other attribute that causes your problem. Toe shape, arch, instep are factors that shoe shape and style do not account for in sizing.

You also have to consider manufacturing tolerance and your normal body variation during the day. A 1/8" variation is not out of the question.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have seen the size differences. I wear a 12. In a Nacona boot, a 10 1/2

Reply to
Leon

Not many. They are not THAT "old".

Reply to
clare

That only works if you are just down the road from an Amazon warehouse. They'd need a cruise missile to get a printer to me in 2 hours. I can usually count on 3 days for a "fast" delivery if it is coming from Canada - a week if it has to cross the border.

Reply to
clare

Correct, it's different for different areas. Keep in mind, though, that the way Amazon is expanding, a year or two from now you might have the same experience that we do.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Leon wrote in news:x9mdneNfKupBnuzFnZ2dnUU7- L snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Mostly because of Asians. Ideographic languages like Chinese, Japanese, and Korean, with thousands of characters, don't lend themselves to being typed into emails. So "hand written then faxed" messages remained the norm there until quite recently.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Nah, once they open the box their house will have the same smell.

Reply to
krw

An attorney friend mentioned to me, about 18 years ago, that FAX was the only form of electronic document transfer that was recognized as acceptable in the American Law system.

Reply to
Leon

The Comcast DVR I had for the short time I was in an appartment was the same.

All of our hardware is new. They just installed the fiber a couple of years ago and just allowed us to connect in '16. All of our hardware has been replaced (some of it, twice) since then, too.

They've been in the house at least six times in the eight months, or so, that we've had the service. Most of the problems didn't relate to the Internet but everything was new and has been replaced at least once.

Reply to
krw

That's what I've found.

Reply to