Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Page 2 of 16

Yes, well is it as many ppl as those who voted for the Drumpf-kin or eat at McDonalds?
*****MAJOR NEWS HEADLINE!*****
Zombies Call Off Zombie Apocalypse When It's Discovered America Has No Brains!
*****
You think DE's are good guitars? So, buy one. ;)
nb

https://www.youtube.com/embed/grD_IINiH9c?autoplay=1

http://i.imgur.com/h16JZhV.jpg

HAND
On 1/10/2017 11:06 AM, Spalted Walt wrote:

Wow. Summed up in a nut shell.

Agree. I think "nut" sums it up, nicely. ;)
nb

It's unanimous, then.
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

+1
nutbob
He's got my vote!
On Tue, 10 Jan 2017 17:06:36 +0000, Spalted Walt wrote:

I think you just proved his point.
--
Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!

Larry Blanchard, the nym-shifting troll, socked-up as "Trenbidia" wrote:

I think you just proved the 'crying liberal' video's point by cowering behind a nym to reply, Larry. How spineless is that?
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:32:14 NNTP-Posting-Host: 2o7XQn3iQgf7/xzi6XA13Q User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508 git://git.gnome.org/pan2)
Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: finishing disaster. Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:30:35
BUSTED !!
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 9:48:36 AM UTC-5, notbob wrote:

They're not Dan Electro guitars, they're Danelectro guitars.
You lose a little credibility when you call them Dan Electro guitars. Almost makes one think that you don't know what you are talking about.
On 1/9/2017 1:59 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not just almost... ;~)

I stand by what I sed, above.
I jes played a Danelectro/Silvertone, a guitar I gave my friend new high-end strings to re-string it with. He re-strung it, I played it. The strings were worth more than the guitar!
I also read that wiki link of "Danelectro" guitar players. provided. Note that most of the players listed owned Sivertone/Danelectro gear early in their career, much like myself (cheap!). After they started making some $$$$, they rarely touched one, again. (Except fer the "hipsters" that think that "lipstick" pup is all that)
My buddy keeps his cuz it has "sentimental value". That's the only value it has. Again, it's basically junk! ;)
nb
In article <zrmdnbP0OZY64e_FnZ2dnUU7-
says...

But will they still be made in USA or will the just be the same stuff Harbor Freight sells only with a higher price tag?

The nearest Northern Tool to me is 600 miles away. There's a Harbor Freight in the same block as Home Depot and Lowes to the north and I drive past another one on the way to Home Depot and Lowes to the south. On the other hand, the closest place to buy tools is a Home Depot with no nearby Lowes or Harbor Freight--there was a Sears across the street though.
Snap-On does come to work to service the helicopter mechanics and maintenance staff--I suppose I should find out their schedule.

Harbor Freight's store brand wrenches have a nice finish and lifetime warranty as well.

Open stock is a big benefit of Sears--at HF it's a set or nothing.
On 1/15/2017 10:05 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

Hard to say, a lot of Craftsman is not made in the USA now. I wonder if the Sears "Companion" brand is made by Craftsman.

I would say stick with HF. A life time warranty is not worth much if it costs you more to have it replaced under warranty than simply buying a new one.
And Having said that I could no longer fine the "Northern" brand wrenches on the Northern Freight web site. That might be an in store item only used as a loss leader.

Well there you go.... I have not paid much attention to their wrenches, none of mine need to be replaced. And I lived very close to Northern Tool when I bought the odd wrenches for specific tools.

Yes, that is one of the advantages to Northern Tool, they sell wrenches/sockets like Sears, loose or in sets.
Now that you mention a set or nothing, I bought a set of hex/Allen wrenches from HD, the Husky brand with LT warranty. Unfortunately they are not great especially, as you would imagine, in the small sizes, they bend. I gave them away after replacing with a set of Bondhus hex wrenches. These are great and made in the USA.
Any way I wonder if HD would have replaced the whole set of wrenches. Have you had to replace a wrench or set with HF?
On 1/5/2017 1:33 PM, woodchucker wrote:

Sears cannot survive at this rate, thank you K-Mart. They will still sell Craftsman but will not get the lions share of the profit from the sales. Right/in the next couple of years they get $900,000,000.

I have been watching the financials, Sears has been doing poorly for a very long time, not just in the last couple of years. IMHO they and Macey's were too wide spread, big cities do not need 10 stores, customers will drive to those stores if they want their products.
On 01/05/2017 03:54 PM, Leon wrote:

This has little to do with K-Mart. These traditional retailers are getting their lunch handed to them because they did not adapt to the world of eCommerce in a timely and effective way.
Amazon has set the bar very high for very fast delivery, great pricing, and painless returns ... all from your living room. Some traditional vendors figured this out. Some - Sears as one example - did not. They're done for.
Capitalism and markets seek efficiency and punish the lack thereof mercilessly. Creative Destruction is bad for individual actors, but good for the marketplace overall.
On 1/6/2017 10:56 AM, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

KMart needed extra funds, more money than their spectacular profits could provide back in the early 90's. They needed funds to offset the extremely high pension payments that retiring family owners were collecting. As profitable as it was KMart could not sustain payments to the owners that were collecting pensions. So you look for a profitable company to help pay costs that the family members pensions would not affect. Enter Sears.

While all of what you have said plays a factor, the problem started 25 years ago and it was not related to pricing, competition, or product quality.
On 1/6/2017 2:28 PM, Leon wrote:

I recall buying a sandblaster at a relatively new Sears store about 25/30 years ago. I looked for a salesman to sell me the thing for over a half our. Finally I somehow found a manager bouncing around and raised hell with him, asked him how long he thought they would be in business if no one could find a salesman. Place closed about 3 years later.
Also, about 2 years ago I needed some shelf brackets. Sears had them for .79 cents apiece. I asked if they were mis-priced, as they should be about a nickel each. Found them on line, 25 for $1.49.
When you have fools running a business, competition will kill you eventually.
--
Jack
On 1/6/2017 3:13 PM, Jack wrote:

Not every store has a good location or a smart manager. One store does not reflect the sum of the stores. Remember Woolco? The Woolco store in Corpus Christi, TX would still be open today if it could have continued to operate. I worked there when I was going to school. It was not unusual at all for an ambulance to show up every weekend to haul some one away. The store was so crowded that people passed out, no kidding. Woolco was one of the first big stores to close.

You can always find a better deal but there is a price to pay for getting the product right now vs. tomorrow or later.
I was reading that ACE hardware and Aldi were a couple of brand stores that are doing well and growing. I went to ACE hardware a month ago to buy 8 magnetic cabinet door catches. 8 would have cost me $26. I drove 4 miles north and got the 8 catches at HD for $3.

True but there are many more factors the will sink you.

Store anagers have very limited power, these days. Their weekly (even hourly) payrol is often fixed by corporate. Inventory and shelf space is also often dictated by corporate, even though the store manager may understand his customers better.

There is one ACE store locally. It's OK but their inventory is often lacking. They seem to want to sell Green Eggs and accessories, Yeti coolers, and such, rather than hardware. They do have some _way_ overpriced tools. BTW, the local HD and Lowes hardware sections aren't any better.