Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

When the future was already happening around them they still did nothing. Yes, that is stupid. Even WalMart was late to the e-commerce game and recently invested in (bought?) jet.com so they can catch up. Check out the JC Penney web site to see a useless disaster. Sears is just a link for items sold by others.

When the world shifted to using computers, Sears, Macy, Penny started to investigate upgrading to electric typewriters.

Unlike Wozniak I did not have the ability to invent a PC, but I did start using one in the 1980's. Some simple automated reports we use at work today are descendants of the DOS things I did back then.

You don't have to invent technology to embrace and use it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

John McCoy wrote in news:XnsA6F5A53BD1369pogosupernews@46.165.242.91:

It's the same way with shoes. People keep insisting shoe sizes are the same, but that just doesn't match my reality. I just sent back a size 9 boot to trade for an 8.5, but I have a 9.5 shoe that fits perfectly. The boots I'm wearing now are 10's.

If I had my way about it, the foot would be measured and the shoe would be specified to fit the measurements of the foot. The dimensions would be inches or centimeters, not whatever measurement the manufacturer decided to use today. Now you know your 25.5cm by 7.76cm (length by max width across the ball of the foot) foot will likely match a 26cmx8cm shoe.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I don't think so. I have a peeve with Amazon. Originally free shipping over $25.. then they moved it to $35, and quickly thereafter to $49... I understand the $35, but the $49 was not necessary. It was to make you buy into PRIME.. and that's where my disdain lies. I understood when they said in order for them to remain profitable they had to move to $35.. That I got..

Reply to
woodchucker

No, this is not Monday morning, it is 16 years too late. Amazon stated in 1994. Sears let many Mondays pass and is still not an internet presence. They (and many others) ignored what was going on around them.

Auto dealers were losing ground and finally caught on a few years back. My last car was bought at a dealer in 15 minutes after using on line sources to get the best price. I sat down with the salesman he made an offer. I told him what the numbers had to be and he said "no". I showed him the numbers on my phone and in two minutes he met the deal. The horseless carriage was just a novelty, as was the telephone, television and most every advance and new technology.

I'm going to check out them new fax machines. I understand you can send copies of things in minutes to another machine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I disagree. Sears had a big hand in it. And yes the public did too. But they did it because Sears was not servicing their needs. I grew up on Long Island they had a store in Hicksville. Their largest from what I understand. My dad and I were there 2 - 3 times a week. They had hardware and tools. Then the hardware disappeared. Then the tool area got really small. They were more interested in soft goods. Well without the hardware we were now going every couple of weeks. You see to us, that was their loss leader to get us in the store. My dad often bought tools he didn't need because they were caught his interest while he was there for hardware.

When I was in my 20's and now in NJ I needed to replace a broken breaker bar, and some ratchets that didn't work. The salesman gave me a hard time and told me that I should buy a 1/2 breaker bar since the 3/8 failed. I had to argue to get my just deserved warranty.. He said if it broke I was miss using it, and it was too undersized. I had decided that was too much work to get what was promised.

I also fell prey to the Die Hard battery scam. My short lived very expensive car battery, that died hard and the pro rating wound up costing me heavily for another battery that lasted a short time. I replaced that with an Exide and was happy (1980s). I remember reading a few years later that there was a scam of used or dead batteries being given as new.. it's so long ago, I am sketchy on the details. But they were charged and did face the charges. They admitted nothing, but would offer something to people who were affected... Guilty as far as I am concerned.

Reply to
woodchucker

But K-Mart bought Sears. Double albatross. K-Mart was always a discounter but maybe 10 or so years ago they seemed to carry cheaper, lower quality merchandise.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

From past experience, B&D could be the death knell for Craftsman. The only thing B&D does well is marketing.

Reply to
clare

But being aligned with Amazon, the (sheeple) public are convinced they are getting the deal of the century - just because they bought it online from Amazon - - - - - - .

Reply to
clare

Hang on - 3dfax is coming - -

Reply to
clare

I bought Prime and will never look back. I think I got my money's worth in the first month. Worth every penny and more.

Reply to
-MIKE-

The biggest problem with K-Mart stores around here was they never had stock on the shelves.

Same problem with Target for the short time they were here. The shelves were half empty, and their prices were nowhere near what the prices were in US stores. Not only that, but they didn't even PRETEND to carry half of the products Canadians used to cross the border to buy at Target stores.

They could have had a large portion of Walmart's lunch, along with quite a few other stores if they had done it right - - -

Reply to
clare

Some of the shoe makers are discussing using 3D printing to do exactly that.

Reply to
Trenbidia

I abandoned Sears when the terminal fell off my nearly new battery. I took it back and the manager refused to replace it. He said, "read the warranty--it says only ability to hold a charge. You are not claiming that." To his credit, the mechanic told me to give him a few minutes. He went in and came back with a new battery and replaced it.

Reply to
G. Ross

You can order something on Amazon and never get it, high thread count Egyptian cotton sheets never ever showed. Now Amazon is going after the counterfeiters, after how many years of letting them ply their trade goods.

Soon if Amazon has its way there will be floating wharehouse dropping their drones out to deliver. (That plan is pie in da sky)

Reply to
Markem

Amazon sent me a Visa card, never activated it they then charge the $99 prime membership to the card.

Other than the Amazon cloud services the company has not been profitable, how long till that catches up.

Reply to
Markem

There is an Irish shoe maker who will take a mold of your foot, make a last and make your shoes. Cost though...

Reply to
Markem

My remembrance of Sears from childhood was walk into the Golf Mill anchor and getting warm roasted cashews.

Reply to
Markem

I'm not positive exactly how the K-Mart Sears combination occurred. Eddie Lampert the investor hedge fund manager bought one or the other. Then deci ded to buy the other. Mainly for the real estate assets. Not the retail s ales. So you cannot say Sears or K-Mart bought the other. A third party, Lampert, bought both separately. And they ended up linked. Warren Buffett 's Berkshire Hathaway bought GEICO insurance and BNSF railroad. You can't really say GEICO and BNSF bought each other.

Its been 10-15 years since I've been in Sears or K-Mart stores. I still li ke my Craftsman wrenches and other tools. Good quality to me.

Reply to
russellseaton1

A guy I went to school with did exactly that - he was a custom she maker who catered mostly to those with "difficult feet". Too bad he has turned into a total drunk. He was always a bit of a pompous ass when he was sober - and he's gotten a lot worse

Reply to
clare

I'm surprised Bezos let you see the books to determine that. How much profit do they make on a $35 order so they can give you free shipping?

I placed 56 order in 2016 so Prime works for me. Listen to Prime music too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski