Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Sears management beleives (or has deluded themselves into beleiving, or more likely is trying to delude the share- holders into beleiving) that with a little time and investment they can recover the business. With current costs exceeding revenues, they have neither time nor funds to invest. Hence the idea that selling assets will give them time & money to fix the problem.

I agree with you. I don't think they have a clue how to solve their problems - they're still trying to figure out "how do we compete with Walmart", when the world has moved on and the real competition is the likes of Dollar General (and, of course, Amazon).
John
On 1/6/2017 9:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

FWIW and this may have changed, in the early 90's KMart acquired/teamed up/became partners with Sears. According to the money managers/investment strategists, that was handling the retirement funds for the company that I worked for at that time, KMart was in dire straights at that point. It was explained that their business plan, KMart, and sales were doing very well. The problem, as it was explained to us, is that KMart was a lot like Walmart, a number of family members that ran KMart were retiring with spectacular pensions. KMart was bleeding to death, even back then, from the pension plans the the family members were collecting. Supposedly the pension plans were literally draining all net profits and then some.
On 1/6/2017 10:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:

I recently mentioned I was looking to replace my Sony earphones. Amazon doubled the price from $14 to $27, plus shipping. I finally found them online at Walmart for $14 and free shipping. Walmart knows whats up, and if Amazon isn't careful, it will be in the bag with Sears/Kmart.
--
Jack
On 1/6/2017 3:00 PM, Jack wrote:

Not everything purchased through Amazon is supplied or sold by Amazon. There are thousands of retailers selling their goods on Amazon and they ship direct from their stores, and they have all different prices and many are not even in the ball park of being competitively priced.

But being aligned with Amazon, the (sheeple) public are convinced they are getting the deal of the century - just because they bought it online from Amazon - - - - - - .
On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 19:34:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Sure. Sometimes paying the $13 is less painful than spending a day finding the cheapest price.
On 1/6/17 10:45 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Not only that, but many times you do indeed get the best price. If you happen to be within a certain distance of a warehouse you can get same day delivery. I had a friend who ordered a printer and had it delivered to his door two hours later. He went on Amazon and spent about 15 minutes finding the printer he needed at the best price, hit a button and had it on his door step 2 hours later. He could've spent two hours driving around town, from store to store, wasting gas, wasting time, getting pissed off in traffic, and gotten the same printer, maybe at the same price. But no, he was sitting at home, in his studio, making money, no gas, no driving, no frustration, and the printer was at his front door in two hours.
In a way Amazon is merging new school and old school. There was a time when groceries and drug stores, and appliance stores delivered things to your home and it was considered normal. Amazon is bringing that back along with everything that is new in technology and consumerism.
--

-MIKE-

That only works if you are just down the road from an Amazon warehouse. They'd need a cruise missile to get a printer to me in 2 hours. I can usually count on 3 days for a "fast" delivery if it is coming from Canada - a week if it has to cross the border.
On 1/7/17 3:43 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Correct, it's different for different areas. Keep in mind, though, that the way Amazon is expanding, a year or two from now you might have the same experience that we do.
--

-MIKE-

snipped-for-privacy@mikedrumsDOT.com says...

Which suggests to me that Amazon is engaging in exactly the kind of overexpansion that killed a lot of brick-and-mortar stores. Their prices have risen to a level where I don't use them anymore unless I need something I can't get locally.
On Sun, 08 Jan 2017 13:18:42 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

I've noticed that price increase as well. Used to get a lot of low-end electronic components from Amazon, now I go to Ebay. I've never had a problem with a vendor, but I do check out their ratings and reviews first.
--
What if a much of a which of a wind gives the truth to summer's lie?

I've found Amazon's ratings to be unreliable. This after shopping on Amazon fer yrs. I even used to have Prime. No more.
I bought a banjo stand based on over 100+ reviews that gave the item a five star rating. I ordered it, based soley on its Amazon rating and it's basically a piece of junk. The reviews had to be bogus.
nb
notbob wrote:

There are some fake/purchased reviews, and some real ones. If you sift through, you might be able to sort them out. Two years ago TurboTax (Intuit) had a laughable number of fake reviews. I'm trying to steer clear of them, just on principle.

On 1/8/2017 1:21 PM, Bill wrote:

TurboTax for the past two seasons includes what it always did, Schedule C etc.
The year before that they upgraded me for free. I think they learned their lesson.
On 1/8/2017 1:40 PM, Leon wrote:

Should have mentioned the paid Basic version again has the forms you expected.
On 1/8/2017 2:07 PM, notbob wrote:

I wonder if some people would know good from bad at times. I figure no matter how good an item is, someone will always dislike it so one or two bad ratings won't dissuade me. OTOH, if a third of the ratings are 1 star, I'll pass.
On 1/8/2017 1:27 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I do not put much faith in ratings that are from a customer that has had the product for a couple of days.

I've seen a few of these: 5 Stars I bought this for my cousin, and he was very happy to receive it!
When I can be bothered, I click the "unhelpful" button.
Puckdropper

I look at the text of the rating more than the rating itself. What exactly pissed the customer off? Often it's really a silly issue.
I ignore any ratings where there are only one or two people rating.
On 1/8/2017 5:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote:

Well, there is nothing silly about ordering the wrong color. That is worth a 1 star rating. It is amazing how many people reveal their own stupidity by posting perceived problems.