2 christmas projects.

Hockey end table.

Appetizer trays / wine glass holder. Each has a different look to identify your tray/food/wine.

Reply to
woodchucker

woodchucker wrote in news:wpSdna4tG-DMLvPFnZ2dnUU7-a snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

What would make that hockey end table complete would be a lamp that used a helmet as a shade! With new LED bulbs, heat won't be too much of a problem.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah ! - find an old Butch Goring model ..

John T.

Reply to
hubops

Not a hockey fan, but I love the appetizer trays. Are the stripes inlaid or painted?

Reply to
G. Ross

Very nice.

I like watching hockey, but I don't know all the rules, like (seemingly) di fferent ways to be off sides. I don't know the different ways, so I can' t comprehend the whats or whys about that, when it happens. I don't know ( probably) most of the blue line rules, either. And I don't know the strat egies of the game, except, now and then, when an announcer describes the pr eceding action (replay), leading up to the results.

After reading others' helmet comments, I thought.... Humpf! Real hockey players don't wear helmets. LOL

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Jeez! That is cool in an eerie kind of way. ;~)

Very nice! I was thinking about building a dozen or so this year but ran out of time.

Give this a try next year. ;~)

Because you are dealing with two different radius arcs for each run you have to remove the exact same amount of material as what you are replacing it with.

Reply to
Leon

Not inlaid, and not painted... Full depth, part of the glueup.

Reply to
woodchucker

Sonny wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

My helmet has saved me from at least 4 trips to the hospital. Real hockey players wear helmets if they want to keep playing!

The last time wasn't all that long ago. I was turning from skating forwards to backwards (we do it all the time) and I caught a bad spot in the ice. My helmet hit the ice with my head safely protected inside it. There was no time to do anything, it was just hit the bad spot and fall down.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Both very nice, but the trays? Awesome. Put some tracks on the bottom for skate board wells, and send them down the bar, for snacks and drinks!.

Just kidding, suckers are da bomb!

Reply to
OFWW

I have seen far less impressive pieces hanging on a wall of an art gallery, for big money.

Reply to
OFWW

That's spectacular work, Leon! Thanks for the pictures and a bad case of "I hope I can get that good".

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin Campbell

Thank you

Reply to
Leon

Looks like each strip is actually three strips. Is that so?

Reply to
G. Ross

Actually most, the wider looking ones, are 1/2" and made up of 4, 1/8" wide strips. Sometimes 1 walnut, 2 maple, and another walnut.

The trick is to insure that the strips will add up exactly to the width that you remove.

Typically I use a pattern to guide a 1/2" top bearing flush cut bit to cut about 1/8" deep into the glued up cutting board. I then cut down that grove with the BS. Now the cutting board is two pieces.

With a larger flush cut bit I remove the remainder of the wood that the

1/2" bit started removing. The bearing rides against the 1/8" recess created by the 1/2" bit.

Then sandwich and glue them all, the thin strips and the cutting board pieces, back together. Do this whole procedure for each individual set of stripes.

Reply to
Leon

Helmets are for wimps. Real hockey lamps don't wear shades. ;-)

DerbyDad03

Wow! That amounts to a real project.

Reply to
G. Ross

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

This wimp is glad to be unhurt and maybe even alive! That helmet has saved me at least 4 trips to a hospital and left me basically unhurt each time. The last time, I hit a bad spot in the ice and fell over backwards. There was NO way to protect myself.

The game is different than it was in Bobby Hull's day. He made sure of that with the curved stick, and Stan Makita, his teammate made sure of it too! He developed the first usable hockey helmet. Mark Messier's work with developing the M11 helmet took things to the next level. If anyone's still playing with the older helmets, go take a look at the new ones (Bauer owns the M11 line now). They are the most comfortable helmets you'll ever wear!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Remember Gary Busey? He did not like helmets either.

Reply to
Leon

I would have guessed that you cut, glued, cut... In any case, they're beautiful. I'll show SWMBO the beds but not those. ;)

Reply to
krw

I've made a few of these after seeing the technique in FWW. I like Leon's idea of the first pattern bit and template, I've always used a guide bushing on the router table and one _must_ keep the board square to the bit (no rotation allowed). Works good for simple curves but errors creep in if one is not careful.

Leon, how long is your pattern bit? The bits I have would require a template at least 3/4" thick.

The latest ones:

There is a short FWW video of the process (if you can finish it with out barfing from the vertigo 8^)

-BR

Reply to
Brewster