Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:lX7cA.229399$ snipped-for-privacy@fx35.iad:

Copy and paste the Amazon URL into camelcamelcamel.com

You'll get a price history (they don't track everything) and you can see where the average price is and whether or not you're in a sudden uptick in price.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Well sort'a. I'm sure the fax does not go directly from my house to yours. It certainly goes through the local telephone office and or the governments snoops offices that monitor phone calls.

Certainly.

Reply to
Leon

The thing that's pissing me off about Amazon is their search engine is awful. It often pulls up similar but completely useless stuff. You have to be _very_ careful that what you select is what you really want.

Reply to
krw

I learned to wait for Christmas when I was 6. ;-)

As I get older, time goes a lot faster, too.

Reply to
krw

Not at all. It may take two weeks to fill the shopping cart. I also put stuff I may want but don't need immediately on my lists. If I need something quickly (very rarely), I'll add something from one of the lists.

No different, except that I may wait longer. Again, $49 isn't a lot of money. Prime isn't free, either.

Reply to
krw

As you say, it depends on how and what you consume. We probably made up for it twice just in shipping. The music and TV streaming are worth that price for us which is really what made us pull the trigger. My thinking was that we were already spending at least $100 in shipping every year, so let's just pay it up front and get all these other benefits on top.

What ended up happening is that we now look for excuses to buy stuff on Amazon, which I'm certain was their intended purpose for it anyway. And I don't mind a bit because for so many, many things, it's just a much easier way to shop.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Most TV shows are available online, anyway. Our DVR often screws up so we just go to the network's on demand site and watch. The only down side is that fast-forward doesn't work.

We just got AT&T Uverse this year. Before that we had AT&T DSL (*maybe* 6Mb but usually no more than 3Mb), so I feel your pain. BTW, Uverse is far from perfect. It just stops for a few seconds, fairly often. TV stuff is buffered enough that it isn't affected much but streaming on the computer or audio has real problems.

Reply to
krw

I think the numbers are standard, however the numbers you want to add, aren't. These really change the fit.

Reply to
krw

It still wouldn't fit. The measurements are incomplete.

Reply to
krw

I remember the smell in Harbor Freight, too. It's not popcorn! ;-)

Reply to
krw

Two of my employers (one I retired from and the other is my current employer) have deals with all of the auto manufacturers, known as the "X-Plan" (manufacturer emplyees get "A-Plan" and dealer employees get a B-Plan, both of which are even better deals). Essentially, the X-Plan deal is what the dealer pays for the car, including all dealer incentives. If I select the plan, the dealer isn't part of the deal anymore but is paid a fee by the manufacturer for the paperwork. Even the sales person is paid by the manufacturer. The dealer can opt out of the X-Plan but if they participate, they can't discriminate. Their entire inventory is available. Well, in theory...

There are legal reasons for this.

Reply to
krw

Ditto. The difference is that BBY paces customers with the coupons. Also, there are *big* limitations on those coupons. Look at the exclusions, sometime.

Reply to
krw

Sears certainly isn't over-saturated in Atlanta. I think there are only seven stores in the entire metro area (none in this area). Hell, there are three HomeDepots and two Lowes within 15 miles of me. The Lowes are all right across the street from the HDs, too. Oh, there are two HFs in the same area. ;-)

Reply to
krw

HA! Ain't that the truth. That unique combined smell of rust prevention oil and Chinese rubber. I bought a dolly from there once and made the mistake of keeping it in the house overnight. It's a having a dog-- once it's in the house you will never get ride of that smell. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Again, I think the difference is weather. In the North, mega-malls are still popular because one can get out and walk in the Winter without freezing. In the South, this isn't a problem even in the Summer.

Don't understand your Ikea reference. We have a store but parking is trivial. It's all in the basement levels of the store (two levels of parking and two of store). We've only been there twice in the five years we've been here (don't like driving on the streets in large cities) but we just happened to be there a couple of weeks ago.

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Basically the sequence of events was that K-Mart went bankrupt, and Lampert bought a bunch of their debt for pennies on the dollar, and converted that to equity to take control of the company. At the same time K-Mart used the bankruptcy to get out of a bunch of leases and other ongoing expenses, so when they came out of bankruptcy their finances actually looked pretty good (anyone who looked closely would see they had little future, but for the moment it looked good).

Lampert then used K-Mart's now-good credit line and cash on hand to buy Sears, and then restructured everything to make Sears the dominant partner (at which point everyone realized that K-Mart had no future, and had second thoughts about the credit that had been extended to them).

At least, that's how I remember it - I had friends doing MBAs at the time, and they studied it all pretty deeply.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Yes, but sold by and via are different. You mentioned that Amazon doubled the price. Perhaps I should have understood that to say the the price "on" Amazon doubled vs. Amazon doubled the price.

Well actually Sears does the same, they show products sold by other retailers. I was going to buy a Bosch laser measure and the retailer selling through Sears web site was the least expensive. I still bought from Amazon at a slightly higher price. I have heard of Amazon's retailer, I have not heard of the retailer going through Sears. there are 5 different retailers on this Sears site for Bosch laser measures.

But Amazon has many prices on many of the same items, choose the retailer that has the best price and a satisfaction rating for that retailer you are most comfortable with. IMHO the best of both worlds.

I can assure you that the HF chuck can be bought elsewhere and a price less than HF. The part number may be slightly different but none the less rolled off of the same factory line.

Back in the 70's through the early 80's I ran the parts departments for a large Oldsmobile and Isuzu dealership. I bought genuine GM parts directly from GM and through out side sources. I always paid less for the same parts by buying from the outside sources that directly from GM. And on top of that the out side sources bought directly from GM too. I later went went to work as the GM of one of those outside sources.

Reply to
Leon

Good point. Also note that not everyone gets the same price on Amazon. I read something a while back that the price can change based on your shopping history, address, and even the browser you're using.

Reply to
krw

Jack wrote in news:o4r32q$17m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

This happens on Ebay all the time - people buy HF stuff and sell it at a higher price. Apparently there's a big enough market of people who've never been in a HF store or seen one of their advertisements to make it profitable.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Well, duh!

"Lets"?

If you "trust" any retailer, you're dumber than a stump. If they misrepresent a product, shame on them. If you don't do your research, shame on you.

Reply to
krw