Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

You must have a decent cable company. We don't. Cable would go out in light rain, and a hundred other reasons. My neibor stopped over the other day and was complaining about the cable company and how email is down frequently.

Takes a really bad storm for DirecTv to go out. In a year we may lose

15 minutes and get pixelation a few seconds a month if heavy storm clouds. It kept working even in a blizzard.
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I melt in the heat.. Would rather it be cold... Although the back suffers in the cold. But I do more work in the shop in the winter and fall. In the summer I am out as much as possible, but I can't take the high humidity with heat.. I have played volleyball outside when it's 100 during the day but only about 2 hours.. after that i'm done.

Reply to
woodchucker

In reality, whether it's 100F or -20F, people tend to live inside. There is a difference, though (more people die from cold than heat). In the summer it's usually sunny, here. When I lived in VT, from November to April, the only time we saw the sun was when it was below zero. It gets pretty grim about March.

I can't take the cold anymore (never could, really). I've had a lot less trouble with my joints since I moved South. At times I couldn't walk without crutches because my knees and feet hurt so badly. It's never been that bad, here.

Have you played volleyball at -30F? ;-)

Reply to
krw

SNIPP

You can put on clothes until you are warm. Can't take off untill you are cool. I put up with 115F and 90+% RH for 2 hot seasons down at the Victoria Falls - when I came back December 1975 the cold almost killed me - I've never really "enjoyed" the cold since - used to like snowmobiling, tobogganing and skating, but no more.

Reply to
clare

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:k9hcA.238056$hu2.141755 @fx02.iad:

That's been my experience with Satellite as well. During a snow storm if the dish stops working it's time to take a broom or a hockey stick or something and brush the snow off.

We have no cable company, I've looked. I'd love to be rid of AT&T, but only if the alternative isn't worse. To their credit, they're usually reliable... but I do lose connection for a few minutes every once in a while.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Not -30 but we play in the winter between football playoffs and the super bowl. We call it the frost bowl, and no matter what the weather we play. One year it was blowing probably 40 -50 mph and it was somewhere around 10.. it felt like 30 below. It was hard playing with the ball moving so much. We tried blocking the wind with trucks, but the cops came and threatened us since we were on park property.

Reply to
woodchucker

How do they know? Hint--you can order online at Macys, and the online store has some stuff (Big & Tall sizes for example) that the brick and mortar stores have to special order.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I'm kind of tempted to drop the bucks for one of their big mechanic tool sets before they're gone. OTOH, I've been taking the Jeep apart for years now with a 50 buck Harbor Freight set so maybe not.

Reply to
J. Clarke

And in the case of Sears it's really sad because as one of the pioneers of mail-order it would have been a natural extension of their original business model.

But it's an old story-company comes up with a good idea and then can't believe that anybody can better it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Location and the install has a lot to do with reception. We have fewer issues with dish than we had with Uverse or cable. BUT we did have a lot of trouble with dish when we first switched to HD dish.

Yes, just like the blue ray and smart TV. I use a switch to supply Ethernet to those components plus the Roku. DVR gets data from the satellite dish and the internet.

Same here, use the DVR in other rooms. Yeah if you have Uverse, it probably works a lot like cable IIRC.

Well, remember our shows coming through the internet hesitated on the TV, but not through the dish, you are not watching shows coming from the internet. But because our TV/DVR/Roku all connect to the internet also, the pause in the internet shows also along with the internet on the computers were an issue before the new outside box.

I thought it was an area problem, the hesitation but the installer assured me that the newer box, the one capable of handling higher speeds would solve the hesitation problem with everything connected to the internet. He was correct.

Reply to
Leon

FWIW, I grew up in a Sears house. Can't honestly say much for them. Sturdy enough I guess but that's about it.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I will side with krw about DirecTV. In the past it has been horrible.

We got DirecTV many years ago somewhere around 2004 before HD TV was available through DirecTV. It was bullet proof.

A few years later we upgraded to HD, just as it was introduced to our area, and it was HORRIBLE. I was talking to technicians every day. The picture would stop and pixelate and often we would loose 5~10 seconds of sound. That got better with 4~5 HD DVR swap outs but was never resolved totally.

In late 2010 we moved into a new house and went with UVERSE. Oddly weather affected that too except it would be out for days at a time.

In the summer of 2013 during a 5 day period that Uverse was out for the whole neighborhood, we went back to DirecTV but with the Genie DVR. Since that point our service has been great.

Reply to
Leon

Well "cannot" be altered is relative. We got FAX, at work, that were indistinguishable. If you do not have a clean line or a good fax machine to send, the receiver gets altered documents. ;~)

But I understand what you are saying, a FAX cannot be hacked and changed so to speak.

Reply to
Leon

Stay away from the Houston area in the summer. LOL

With heat you can shed clothes. With cold adding more clothes restricts mobility. LOL

Swingman and I were working together on a new home installing kitchen cabinets that we had built. IIRC this was 2008 or 2009. This was near Austin TX out in the country. The house was a straw bale house with great insulation. Because the build was out in the country we closed the house up at the end of the day to keep critters out. The next morning the inside of the house was as hot as when we left it the previous day. I recall stopping for the day around 5 pm and the temp being 106. Remember, the inside of the house the next mornings were about that hot too. We had a couple of fans to keep us slightly cooler but one fan got so hot that it quit working. I thought it was toast but it started up the next morning and has worked fine ever since.

Reply to
Leon

Well actually taking clothes off makes you cooler but adding more clothes restricts mobility. This is an assumption that you are working outside all day in the extreme cold or heat. It's a b___h working out side in the cold and not being able to move freely.

Reply to
Leon

Craftsman will still be around, it is Sears that might disappear. You can get craftsman at 6 other brand stores too.

You might also consider Northern Tool for tools too. We have a few of their stores in the Houston area and they, compared to HF, are much nicer and do carry brand name tools.

BUT they have their own brand of sockets and wrenches that resemble the slick chrome that SnapOn sells/used to sell. The wrenches are pretty darn inexpensive and have a life time warranty. I have a few of their wrenches for special use and am impressed for the money.

I bought this particular wrench to replace the wrench that came with the router. Like Craftsman you can buy individual wrenches.

Leon

And in hand tools Harbor Freight. There are as many Harbor Freight stores here as there are Sears. I used to go to Sears in preference because the closest Harbor Freight was twice as far away and I drove past the Sears to get there, but with that Sears closing, I drive past Harbor Freight to get to the closest Sears now . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

Which suggests to me that Amazon is engaging in exactly the kind of overexpansion that killed a lot of brick-and-mortar stores. Their prices have risen to a level where I don't use them anymore unless I need something I can't get locally.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've noticed that price increase as well. Used to get a lot of low-end electronic components from Amazon, now I go to Ebay. I've never had a problem with a vendor, but I do check out their ratings and reviews first.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I've found Amazon's ratings to be unreliable. This after shopping on Amazon fer yrs. I even used to have Prime. No more.

I bought a banjo stand based on over 100+ reviews that gave the item a five star rating. I ordered it, based soley on its Amazon rating and it's basically a piece of junk. The reviews had to be bogus.

nb

Reply to
notbob