Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

Hang on a sec! This is a newsgroup of generally middle-aged, nearly all male, carpenters, and I'm pretty sure they would *not*, in fact, be very interesting with fewer clothes!

Cheers, Colin

Reply to
Colin Campbell

snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I don't know... Sometimes the things women put on are really interesting. Then they go to your place and start to feel hot...

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I wasn't talking about Amazon ratings. I was talking about Ebay's seller rating and feedback. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote in news:cch57c5rdmrke7s50afkjcalcnfuevb85o@

4ax.com:

You may find that having some clothing on is actually more effective than being "without apparel". (Twister reference there.) Things like moisture wicking materials can make sweating more effective.

I could be wrong, though, but I prefer the moisture wicking shirt when playing roller hockey. I can tell you that I don't feel as drenched as I would without a shirt.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

BUT Sweating only makes you more comfortable/cooler if the humidity is low enough that it will actually evaporate. With 90%+ humidity you just get hotter. One day I took my clothes off after being in the shop and I could literally wring the sweat out of my pants and shrt. I was completely soaked as if some one has hosed me down. And I had 2 fans blowing.

Reply to
Leon

OTOH, the internet has made many thousands of products available that cannot be found locally at any price. Lowe's is 7 miles, Woodcraft is about 30 miles, but even they don't have everything.

Never heard of a Sachertorte until last night but one will be shipped to me from Austria this week. We get the best coffee and tea from around the world. The internet made it possible. Yes, we could get through life the same as our parents did, but we don't have to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Two Lowes and Three HDs in 15 miles. Highland is 30 miles. Rockler, Woodcraft, and Peachtree are about 50. I still order stuff online.

We get our coffee from Vermont (Green Mountain). We can often find it locally but not the decaff stuff.

Reply to
krw

Carpenter crack? (now you can go find your eye bleach ;-)

Reply to
krw

Don' t know but I'm not sure I want to see what's available for a buck.

Reply to
krw

It's fun to unwrap presents but playing with the toy, after, is fun too.

Reply to
krw

Couple of times a year I get 2 pounds of Kone directly from the grower www.smithfarmscom and other varieties from

I don't even drink coffee but I make sure my wife can enjoy the good stuff.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

At 90+%rh the wicking really doesn't help. The only advantage to clothing is shade and helping to prevent sun-burn. Under the hot African sun you can burn through a light cotton shirt in a very short time.

Reply to
clare

Are you getting the torte, or the flavoured coffee?? If you are getting the torte you really want a real good gob of whipped cream to dip every bite into. It's VERY flavorful, but just as dry!!! Austrian practice is to eat a little bit of torte with a spoonfull of Schlag

Reply to
clare

I had a chance to visit Highland Woodworking while in Atlanta last week. I can easily recommend them to anyone here as a nice place to visit if in Atlanta. I controlled myself and limited myself to a new "Lost Arts Press" book (on mouldings) which I had been eyeing before my visit, but I feel like I have more interest in their web site now than I did before. Being apparently impartial, they have some tools from both Lie Nielsen and Veritas, for instance. I tried to step around the "green tool" section, without getting anything on me. : )

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Interesting I got a letter from Sears - been a craftsman club member for (have a card) almost 40 years. Maybe more.

They stated they will be continuing the line in the stores and add new ones as they come out and have B&D there as well. They were paid for the sale and will get more after a big cash payment. Then in 5 years or so Sears will be paying percentage of sales. (3%) All sorts of details...

Time will tell. Don't forget Diehard and other trade names.... Silvertone is long gone.

Mart> >> >>>> >>>>> Apparently Craftsman was around before Sears acquired it 90 years ago.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

as is J.C. Higgins....

Spalted Walt

Hard to forget brand names I avoid like the plague. My boss bought a Diehard marine battery. We hadda replace it within the week.

Thank goodness fer small favors! I once had a Silvertone bass amplifier. Brand new, it was already crap and I returned it to Sears the next day.

Their guitars/basses were made by Dan Electro and they were also junk. I hadda buddy who bragged he'd scored a DE Long-Horn bass. He paid $600 for it and thought he's scored some kinda hot deal. I played it and told him, "This cost about $75USD, new, and it certainly isn't worth that much, now". I found another DE guitar at my jammin' buddy's house. I'm not sure, but I think the high-end strings I gave him ($10 set), to re-string that guitar, were worth more than the guitar.

You see a lotta Dan Electro's in use, these days. The "lipstick" pick-up is held in high esteem by many of today's hipsters. The guitar, itself, is still essentially junk. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

FWIW, most all batteries are manufactured by just a few manufacturers. No batteries are exempt from being DOA. Personally I have had good luck with DieHard and what ever brand Toyota sells.

Reply to
Leon

Sears is selling Craftsman, most all of us assume just the tools. I wonder what will become of the Craftsman lawn mowers/lawn power tools, and Craftsman Garage door openers.

The article says that Sears will pay Stanley 3% royalty after 15 years. That sounded odd to me as I sure they will continue to sell Craftsman products so paying back 3% did not make sense if they are buying the product from Stanley. Stanly could simply increase the cost to Sears by

3% BUT if they continue to use the Craftsman name on the items that Stanley will not be buying, like the Chamberlain and Genie made Craftsman Garage door openers, and or who ever manufactures the Craftsman yard equipment, that may be where the 3% royalty kicks in.
Reply to
Leon

I think Exide leads the charge. One thing I recall is, if ever buy a Yuasa l-a battery, you can bet Yuasa yer gonna be walking. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob