Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D

It's unanimous, then.

Reply to
krw

I think you just proved his point.

Reply to
Trenbidia

I get there once a month or so. If I get out of there dropping less than a Franklin, SWMBO is happy. Then there are the green days. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Exactly! So if you are upset with the quality of a product, blame the importer/retailer that felt that questionable quality would pass, not the country or origin.

Reply to
Leon

Sounds like a trip to Sam's Club, we never get out without spending $100.

Reply to
Leon

The only thing they have in common with Sam's Club is that they accept the same currency. They don't even remind me of my local Woodcraft or Rockler--they actually have a variety of tenon saws (for instance). And though I didn't look closely at any green tools, the space allocated for them is substantial enough that they must have "the whole set".

Reply to
Bill

Here's is a link to a video tour (I only watched the top one).

Bill

Or "possibly" blame yourself for forgetting the rule "if it 's too good to be true, generally it is" - Mabee you paid too little (bought too cheap?)

Reply to
clare

I think you just proved the 'crying liberal' video's point by cowering behind a nym to reply, Larry. How spineless is that?

From: Trenbidia Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: Sears to sell Craftsman to Stanley/B&D Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:32:14 NNTP-Posting-Host: 2o7XQn3iQgf7/xzi6XA13Q User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508 git://git.gnome.org/pan2)

From: Larry Blanchard Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Subject: Re: finishing disaster. Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2017 18:30:35 Message-ID: NNTP-Posting-Host: 2o7XQn3iQgf7/xzi6XA13Q User-Agent: Pan/0.139 (Sexual Chocolate; GIT bf56508 git://git.gnome.org/pan2)

BUSTED !!

Reply to
Spalted Walt

+1

nutbob

He's got my vote!

Reply to
Spalted Walt

That leap of logic doesn't work. Well, not exactly. Quite often Chinese made merchandise doesn't even resemble the specs that the (Chinese) manufacturer was given. BTDT. Now if you say that the importer should test to make sure their specs are followed... OK, maybe. There are a lot of specs that are really difficult to test. You can't test in quality.

Reply to
krw

They both take Sams Club credit cards, too. ;-)

On a business trip, I stopped into a Woodcraft in Columbus OH. It was a big step above the local Woodcraft (at least twice the size) but they didn't have the bredth of high-end tools, like Highland. Nice store, though.

They do. And every accessory and consumable, too. I believe the invenory for their Internet business is in the store. To see if something is in stock, they check their web site.

Reply to
krw

BTW, if anyone makes a roadtrip to visit Highland, there are a lot of very good restaurants in the area. It's in the middle of a rather upscale section of Atlanta (The Virginia Highlands).

krw

The I don't think so was in reference to Amazon being in the bag w/ Sear/Kmart.

Reply to
woodchucker

Granted, importers will take what ever sells or will be tough on specs. Chinese Buicks sold here are pretty close to specs, I would say, along with Triton tools, Milwaukee tools, SawStop, Powermatic, etc

Get into the no name stuff from China and all bets are off. This is the stuff yo find at the discount tool stores like Harbor Freight etc.

Reply to
Leon

Correct. I was not implying that on the earphones. They were not a prime item.

Just that walmart chose to sell the item cheaper (perhaps at a loss, to drive traffic).

Or perhaps Amazon was simply price gouging.

Because I looked at identical items listed as prime and not listed as prime and the prime had higher prices. They did it, no doubt at all. Whether they still do or not, I don't know, but I don't trust them much.

Reply to
Jack

I already did on a previous post.

Fourth one down is $1.99 for 25. It's a different retailer than I used a couple of years ago, but the picture looks the same. The ones I got were top quality, metal, exactly what I wanted.

Reply to
Jack

Got ya. I think at least for now, you are correct. Amazon is pretty darn good at what they do, and catching up will not be easy for anyone. Sears should be where Amazon is today, based on their long history of catalog and mail order sales. (My buddies dad bought a house from Sears, and my bud still lives in it.) Sears lack of good management is probably what is killing them, and as someone said, they have been dying for at least 30 years. Amazon still has to be careful, and some of their tactics might increase profits, but if they lose trust, they could find themselves eating someone elses dust.

Reply to
Jack

They are rather open about it and often state it may be available cheaper from different vendors without Prime. It may or may not include shipping and it may or may not take longer that two days even if shipping is included.

I don't see it as a matter of trust, but the obligation of the customer to do due diligence and select the best option for their needs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The forth one down will cost you $6.99, 1.99 + Shipping of $4.00

Prime is still cheaper with second day delivery. $5.49

Reply to
Leon