Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

I don't see how the President would side with Bosch, as it's a German company over SawStop an American company.

Reply to
woodchucker

Build a wall around Germany, oh wait, that was done.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

There you go again, assigning rationality to an irrational situation. ;-)

(I'm not getting political here, I'm just having fun.)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Maybe. I have no idea of the terms he wanted. Over the years so patents were offered free of royalty because they had the potential to save lives. Being a generous sort of guy, I once offered a meal to a starving homeless person for only $30.

Ed Pawlowski

Yeah, just add the 20% import tariff Where is a SawStop table saw made? SawStop is a US-owned company, and each table saw is engineered at our headquarters just south of Portland, Oregon. Every table saw is built in Taiwan to an unmatched set of tolerances.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's a great story.

Today you have lane departure, auto braking, all are covering with patents and you pay for it in the car purchase.

So things have changed quite a bit.

I would have given the homeless guy a free meal, I would not have charged him the $30 ;-)

Reply to
woodchucker

My lawyer said I'm entitled to a profit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That gesture was over half a century ago. I'm curious as to whether Volvo would be so quick to give away their City Safety technology today.

I have no idea how it compares with other auto-braking technologies out there, but that's not the point. In an apples-to-apples modern day comparison, do you know if Volvo is giving away what they call their "in-house developed unique technology for avoiding low-speed collisions"? I don't think they are, so why not use that as a comparable to the Saw-Stop situation instead of a 50+ year old gesture?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My opinion. Ha Ha. I want the SawStop or Bosch technology on every saw ev er made and ever will be made. I want saws to not cut people. I want safe ty. Hopefully the patents expire sometime soon and every saw maker in the world will be able to make saws with this safety device on it. And hopeful ly they can make it cheaper, easier for the replacement cartridges. Not th at anyone should ever need a replacement cartridge if they follow safe smar t cutting methods. I want a SawStop or Bosch safety saw. But I want a rea l European sliding saw more because I think its safer and far more function al than the old outdated American style saw. So I will have to wait awhile longer until a European company puts the SawStop technology onto their sli ding table saw. Until then I will have to work with my older Delta Contrac tor saw and use safe handling methods to cut wood. Thinking is important w hen using a saw.

I personally know lawyers and a judge. They are all very fine people. So being a lawyer does not automatically make someone evil. Businesses are no t good or evil either. Whether the inventor of the technology tried to mak e a huge amount of money is not important either. I try to make money ever y day too.

Reply to
russellseaton1

OK, so tell me on what grounds a person could expect to win a suit against Gass if they cut off a finger on non-Saw Stop saw? Would it go something like this:

"Your honor, my client could have bought a SawStop and avoided this terrible accident, but he thinks Gass is an A-Hole and didn't want to give him any money.

Surely you can see how that is the fault of Gass and that he should be held responsible for my client's injuries. "

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Cases have been won exactly that way. You just need the right jury.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

There are newer cases but I chose not to take the time to look them up. Elon Musk is giving away some technology to helf electric vehicles expand in the marketplaceIt was an example. Anyone wanting more should find there own.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ed Pawlowski wrote in news:TXKmA.12475$ snipped-for-privacy@fx43.iad:

I did something similar, but didn't charge him the $30. About a week later, a holy man came to my door. Just like you, my lawyer told me I was entitled to a prophet.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

You are obviously not an atheist.

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

IIRC, we checked the table flatness and found it was worse than both General and Powermatic - so much for "unmatched tolerances".

Caveat - that was a very small sample and several years ago. It may have been a fluke or things may have changed in the intervening years.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Exactly and with out a clue as to what the actual costs were are suddenly experts at what a license should cost. The other companies were betting against this getting off the ground and lost, lost really big. One was about to pull the trigger to get the license and got cold feet. I would imagine that the cost was not too much for them but probably pulled out when every one else looked the other way. I bet they are kicking themselves in the butt now.

Either way the patents will run out sooner than later.

What I am really happy about is that the SawStop is a high quality machine. Expensive, YES, but high quality machines are expensive but not all offer the technology.

Reply to
Leon

Do you have pictures of Gass sucking scum or is that just something you made up. Ther is an old saying, It takes one to call one.

Reply to
Leon

I suspect that 20% more for a SawStop will not deter sales.

Reply to
Leon

"Unmatched" doesn't have to mean tight, precise, etc. The statement could mean that the tolerances are so bad that no decent saw matches them. ;-)

Well, there's your problem. A fluke is not going to be as flat as a table saw. That big knob in the middle, the holes for the leads, the screen, etc. My Fluke 75 is pretty bumpy.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not sure they are kicking themselves or not. Any competent company looked at the cost for the license, cost for the extra material/technology to buil d the saw, and did some kind of estimate for potential sales and/or gains f rom having the SawStop on their saws. They decided it did not make economi c sense to buy the SawStop license because the return/profit would not be e nough.

SawStop is a going concern now. But no one knows how much money the compan y is making. No one knows how many table saws are being sold. Total numbe r of SawStops sold and total of all table saws sold. New and used. Cost p er saw. Only this Gass person knows how much he could have sold the SawSto p technology to a company and how much he is making as a business. Money d ecides whether it was smart or foolish to do it the way he did. He could e asily be kicking himself if he was offered ten million for the license and refused, and then opened his own business and is only making one hundred th ousand net. He will have to run his business for 100 years to break even.

Reply to
russellseaton1