Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

Clare provided the information in another section of this thread, In a nut shell, Ryobi apparently sent a signed license agreement to SawStop and then would consider the feasibility, but they knew the cost up front.

I would say a signed license agreement was very close to committing.

I was referring to your comment,

No one knows how many table saws are being sold. Total number of SawStops sold and total of all table saws sold.

Reply to
Leon

That might be hard to say, if Euro saws will have the device in the future. Is SS's patent protection extend to Europe, or just European saws that are sold here? I think that Bosch can manufacture the Reaxx but not import to the US. If this is the case European saw may have the legal right to have this technology on their own now, but may choose to not do so.

FWIW I was strongly considering the purchase of a Laguna TSS with scoring and the SS when shopping for a safer saw than my Jet cabinet saw.

Ultimately I felt the large foot print with out feed tables and extensions of the Laguna was too much and I opted for the SS ICS.

And ultimately the SS does offer an extra layer of protection that most all other saws do at this time. That was what I was after.

I think he was referring to on going license agreements. Like most franchises have.

Reply to
Leon

noun

  1. the fact or practice of manipulating public policy or economic conditions as a strategy for increasing profits. "cronyism and rent-seeking have become an integral part of the way our biggest companies do business" adjective
  2. engaging in or involving the manipulation of public policy or economic conditions as a strategy for increasing profits. "rent-seeking lobbyists"
Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

-save-1069825878

vo would be so

there, but that's

w if Volvo is giving

iding low-speed

e to the Saw-Stop

How is it that you know what *I* meant? Are you a mind reader?

In any case...

Copyright © 2017 Volvo Car Corporation (or its affiliates or licensors ).

2008 ? City Safety

"Here are some amazing statistics ? 75% of all reported collisions take place at speeds of up to 30km/h and in 50% of rear-enders, the driver behind hasn?t braked at all. We saw an opportunity to make a great difference ? our City Safety system uses laser detection to work ou t whether a collision with the car in front is likely, and if the driver doesn?t brake, the car will do it. And the system works up to 50km/ h."

Hint: I don't really care who the parent company of Volvo Cars is. When I said Volvo, I meant Volvo.

l-results

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Believe that the Chinese ownership makes no difference in decisionmaking if you want to. You probably think that Ford didn't exert any control either.

Reply to
J. Clarke

n-to-save-1069825878

Volvo would be so

out there, but that's

know if Volvo is giving

avoiding low-speed

rable to the Saw-Stop

ncial-results

Your problem is that you don't get the point of my post.

Moving on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

It appears to escape him...

Reply to
Leon

I do get the point of your post, which is that the world has changed so that Volvo would not have made the same decision now that they did with regard to three point seat belts.

My point is that it is not the world that has changed, it is Volvo, which has gone through two changes of ownership since the seat belt decision was made.

Reply to
J. Clarke

C'mon people. Every time anyone even mentions Sawstop someone resurrects the brouhaha we've had several times now. Whatever your opinion, you're not changing others. Can't we just let it go? Get back to woodworking? Even a political thread would be more interesting :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

e took him up

ntion-to-save-1069825878

ther Volvo would be so

gies out there, but that's

you know if Volvo is giving

for avoiding low-speed

omparable to the Saw-Stop

financial-results

Close, but no cigar. Nice try.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I can understand the manipulating public policy. Public policy meaning gov ernment rules and regulations and laws. Lobbyists do this. Not sure what economic conditions anyone can manipulate. Can you influence interest rate s? GDP? Trade deficits? Government deficits or surplus? I suppose you c an influence demand with advertising. And influence supply with the govern ment laws to outlaw all competitor products from being sold.

Reply to
russellseaton1

krw

That would be good but I'm not likely to replace mine and I doubt many here will. SawStop is available now and I'd expect everyone who was going to switch, already has.

krw

Gass wanted Congress to pass a law that every tablesaw should have a safety device (his). Certainly would have helped his economic condition.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

;~)

Reply to
Leon

Absolutely and an absolute dream come true for every entrepreneur or business owner, CEO ect.

What businesses fit this mold? Who has lobbied the government to have an on going advantage?

Insurance companies. All Energy providing companies. TV entertainment providers. Communication providers. The automobile industry. The building industry. The food industry. The medical industry... The entertainment industry The recycling industry.

And the list goes on.

Mr. Gass is no different except he is the little guy that has come up with a great product and is successful.

Reply to
Leon

So which of these have succesfully lobbied for "If you purchase something of this kind it _must_ have this expensive feature"?

If you want a model, it wouldn't be any of those, it would be the airbag industry.

And he would have been more successful if he had just made his product and sold it without all the legal shenanigans before he started making it. Personally I will never, ever buy a Sawstop product not because of any concerns about the Sawstop but because I refuse to put a penny in that asshole's pocket. I'm sure there are others who feel the same.

Reply to
J. Clarke

"that only I have a government-enforced monopoly on making."

Nope. No government enforced monopoly there.

Reply to
krw

Think about it.

Can you own and drive an automobile with out having liability insurance? That is state law in Texas. The insurance industry was instrumental in getting that law.

TV entertainment providers. Cable has long had government in their pockets to protect their interests and prevent competition. In Texas, I suspect else where, if you subscribe to cable TV you only have one choice. No other cable providers can compete.

The air bag industry as we all commonly know it is the automotive industry. Now back up cameras have or will shortly become mandatory on new vehicles.

That is your choice. An emotional one but all the same, your choice.

I'm sure there are

Yes there are.

Reply to
Leon

I am not sure that can be done. Legal issues. Government laws can require safety devices. Airbags and seatbelts in cars being an example. But I do ubt the law can require a specific patented device be installed. With airb ags and seatbelts, the patents had long expired and the devices were actual ly in use and production before the law took effect requiring them to be in stalled in all cars.

Reply to
russellseaton1