removing wax before adding more color

I have a set of 2 dozen pieces (about 5 inches square) that were finished w ith lacquer and waxed a number of months ago. I now find that the longer b oards that the 5 inch pieces will be joined to are darker. I need to add m ore color to the 5x5 pieces. I just rubbed them out with mineral spirits an d they now appear to be somewhat duller than before; I do not feel any wax on them. What is the sure fire test to see if all the wax is off before I start spraying them again?

Thanks, Len

Reply to
Len