Fisheye

I had some pieces (4"x 4") that had been finished with lacquer and then wax ed. In the end the color did not match the surrounding stuff and I need to darken them. I used mineral spirits to take off most of the wax. I then s anded the surfaces with 6oo grit paper until they were smooth and did not f eel like there was any finish on them. Not true! When I put some more lacq uer toner on then they showed fisheye - Big Fish!

These pieces were very tedious and time consuming to manufacture

I know fisheye is a tough one to beat. I probably can afford to take 1/32" off the finished surfaces using a without anybody noticing. I have a Jet flat bed 16/32 sander that would make short work or it. Would taking 1/32 off be enough to get rid of the fisheye from the existing surface. If so, what grits should I use? One pass or several getting finer?

Len

Reply to
Len

Sorry to hear that. When shooting lacquer I generally use a fish eye killer , 1 drop .. I got it a hundred years ago when I used to spray cars, planes... Airplane dope.. is basically a lacquer..

I got it at the auto finishing supply shop...

YOu should be able to sand the finish down, then clean again, with a paint prep.. I used to use sikkens m600 to prep for lacquer.. I don't know what's available now, but it is a prep that gets it all cleaned up. I don't consider paint thinner or MS prep for lacquer..

Reply to
woodchucker