1/4" x 20 with knob?

Hi All,

I've got a 60Ah MK Gel battery that has short threaded sockets on the top rather than the more typical round posts or lugs.

On the datasheet it suggests the threads are F 1/4" x 20 and I'm not sure if that is sufficient to describe the thread, without the 'battery' association anyway? ie, Are they also UNC-3A?

Because the connection will be temporary I thought of using something like this:

even though that is a hand - nut onto a bolt I could easily fit the bolt into the hand - nut to turn it into a hand - bolt. ;-)

But it seems that particular Co don't sell them any more (or not on Amazon anyway).

So, anyone know where I could get such a thing please (ideally in the UK). I have found a few suppliers who can do metric but not imperial.

Like here:

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I assume you dont have a welder. Why not take your bolt, drill a hole for the head in a lump of wood, and glue it in. Use a wooden knob if you want it pretty.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

RS Components e.g. 210-1543

Reply to
Dave Osborne

Erm yes? MIG, Stick and Gas?

When I get some. ;-)

Well I don't particularly, I'd rather have it now, done and plastic, given choice. It's for use in a boat so would have to be protected if wood and probably wouldn't float the bolt even if wood (unless overlarge or cork etc).

Tis a thought though, should I not be able to easily get what I want etc.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

why not weld a bit of steel to the bolt and paint it with epoxy?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Can you search their database with their part number (I can't)).

Would you be so kind as to provide a link or tell me what section it's under please?

I've found entries like

"2508284552 Knob; Star; Thermoset; 4-Prong Knob; Brass; 1/4-20; 0.375 in.; 1.250 in" (and in their Extended range so subject to £10 P&P).

Is that the sort of thing as I can't see a picture nor match up that number?

am I in the wrong place (not used RS for about 20 years and if I am on the right web site probably won't for another 20).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Erm, because it's only 1/4" diameter, probably (plated) brass (so could solder I guess) but would like a nice non-conductive and easy to rotate plastic knob to remove (less chance of getting the big heavy battery caught on stuff as you move it about.

A small spanner and plain bolt would also probably 'do' (when I get the bolts) but I fancied summat a bit nicer / easier if possible this time. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Use the right part number Tim

210-1543

I can search the catalogue without logging in so you should be able to.

they are sold in 10s and are £3.27 plus vat each so unless you have mates who need them as well then it is an expensive solution. Mind you if you are into boating then everything is expensive.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

braze. epoxy is non conductive. Trouble with searching for these things in catalogues is by the time you find one, you could have made

10 in less time.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK - here are a couple of ideas.

1/4" x 20 could be either UNC or Whitworth. I guess that either would do for your purposes. The purests will tell you that the threadforms are slightly different - but I have always found them more or less interchangeable.

This is the thread used to attach a camera to a tripod. So if you can canabalise (sp?) an old tripod, you should find just the thing.

Alternatively, if your bits box contains the odd knob-style side handle for a B&D drill, you will find that this has a 1/4" hole and a hexagon-shaped socket to take the head of the fixing bolt. The original bolt will have been

1/4" UNF, but you could almost certainly fit a UNC or Whitworth bolt, even if you have to file a bit off the flats of its head to make it fit.

HTH.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Agreed, still got to get the bolts though. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Ooops (where did that 3 go)?

river today. ;-)

Ouch.

Telling me. How do they describe boats, as a "hole in the water into which you throw money" ;-)

Good fun though. I might ache tomorrow but should sleep well tonight.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

I think I saw UNC on one data sheet.

Ok. Well, this is really a hold-down rather than a fastener so even if it's not perfect it shouldn't be an issue.

Ah, so the plastic knurly thing that dangles from a tripod mount then eh. I wonder if our camera shop might do something as a spare, or have some cheapo broken kit etc.

Understood. I need two though (+ve / -ve). I think a good starting point might be the bolt. Once I've got that I could even turn the knob from some suitable plastic rod and counter bore the top to take the bolt head, locked in place with some epoxy (or roll pin through the bolt head and knob etc).

It may well have, thanks. ;-)

T i m

Reply to
T i m