Smallest vans that can carry 8' x 4' sheets of MDF/plasterboard inside?

I'm looking for a van for use when I renovate my house, then move out. I want something small as possible (because it will be my only vehicle for a while) However, it must be big enough to carry 4' x 8' sheets of plasterboard, MDF etc inside. Anyone suggest some models? Toyota Hi-ace? Nissan Vanette? Others?

It's got to be smaller than a Ford Transit; that's for sure. Toyota Lite-Ace would be nice but I guess they are too short to fit 8' x 4' sheets in...

Many thanks and happy boxing day..

Kat

Remember the smaller the vehicle the less weight you will be able to carry (legally).

Well, seeing that the Ford Transit in it's SWB version has been the day-faco standard that all other van maker has tried to equal in the class...

Why does it need to be smaller than a Transit, if I may ask ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Most builders merchants will deliver, some will charge some won't, so why go to the expense of getting a big enough van? If you have enough storage space you can order it all in one hit.

Also check with your insurance company wether you can get insurance on a medium size van using your no claims off your car.

Reply to
Dave Jones

I'm pretty sure (as my mate has one) that the swb trannie is the same length as a normal car. My mate couldn't have anything bigger, otherwise there wouldn't be any parking spaces big enough outside his terraced house.

Reply to
Air Rider

Good suggestions, worth considering! Thank you...

Kat

I think that's about right. Nevertheless, I still think they are too cumbersome for everyday driving. Perhaps its the width and/or the height of the seats or something. I've hired them on occasion.

Reply to
Kat

Didn't know that - thanks. Hopwever, I don't plan to carry much weight at once. Having said that, I guess ten sheets of 12mm plasterboard must weigh quite a bit...

Because it'll be my only transport for several months so I'll be using it for nipping up to the shops in the built-up area where I live, and zipping off on 30 mile trips in (hopefully) reasonably relaxed comfort. I dread driving transits unless I really have to. I find them so cumbersome. I'd like something narrower, like Hi Ace perhaps - though I've never driven one, they look like they might be more manoeverable than a transit.

Cheers, K

Reply to
Kat

Apart from fetching building materials, I'll need it when I move house. I envisage shifting my stuff in dribs and drabs rather than in one shipload via a removal co.

Cheers,

Kat

Hm, forward control, not nice if your not used to it or confident...

-- Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Well, unless you either don't have a sofa (or sofa sized stuff) or go for a pick-up, something smaller than a Transit sized van will be more trouble than it's worth in the removals dept.

-- Reply to group please.

begin .......nothing!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

A builder friend had an old Nissan Vanette (which just died after many years, 270K miles, an no maintenance unless you count adding diesel!). You could get full size sheets in that, it was a fair bit smaller than a transsit, it also had a tiny turning circle. The only limitation I found was that the seat would not go far enough back to make driving it comfortable for me, but then again I am taller than most.

Reply to
John Rumm

Good point - thanks; but I have avoided sofas, and beds that can't be dismantled or folded. What you said about forward controls in the Hi Ace is a good point though. I have to admit I've never driven one, but the lack of substance between me and the hypothetical concrete lamp post I drive into is a bit unsettling... ;-)

Kat

Hi John, Thanks for the suggestion. I was looking at one of those today, and I must say it looked about right for me, size-wize, except that it didn't look as though an 8ft sheet of board would fit in the back. The space only looked about 6ft long. Perhaps your friend's was a different model though.

Kat

Ive managed quite well so far with my VW Scirocco, cement mixer fit in just about etc. ;-)

When I ever get to plasterboard I'd go hire a van, less hassle than buying and insuring one when you won't be using it 90% of the time as a van?

£40.00 a day for a transit.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I got tired of using a van years ago. (Although I still have a Leyland 3ton for really big stuff :-) ) Now use a Volvo 940 estate cheaper to buy/insure/run than a van and just as big inside.

Reply to
Mark

I have a swb trannie, 1270kg payload, 8 by 4 sheets with ease, changing room for canoeing. It has an incredible turning circle, shorter than my other halfs rover 25. Its economical, comfortable, parts are cheap and readily available. I have driven many large vans at work and nothing even comes close to the transit IMHO.

Reply to
John Woodhall

My van is a Vauxhall Combo which is a boxy car derived van and it can carry a ton(ne?) and a half cos it is the version with improved suspension, so size isn't everything. At least that is what my ex said :)

Its too small for 8*4 sheets and three seater sofas but its fine for dribs and drabs house move and for cement mixers. Ford stopped making the Escort van a while ago and I guess that is cos builders have discovered that the boxy shape vans are much easier to get stuff in and out of than are estate car derived ones

Being car derived (the Corsa) its easy to drive and its cheap to run too. I suggest you look at Combo or other manufacturers equivalent Renault Trafic etc

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc |____|

01359 230642

Reply to
Anna Kettle

Personally, I would choose the car I need, have a tow hook fitted on it, and either hire a trailer when I needed one or, if the use justified it, buy one.

For example, the Ifor Williams BV5 will take 2400 x 1200 mm sheets flat inside

the BV4 will take them standing on edge

used one of the latter to take furniture the length of France a couple of years ago.

My local Ifor Williams dealer hires out trailers and I would be surprised if others did not do so as well.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Before you go ahead, check up on the insurance situation.

It might be cheaper to get a big old Volvo estate.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Its a transit, a pickup or a trailer.

Take yer pick.

Frankly, I use a Land Rover, because the builders merchant delivers the big stuff.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher