Table Saw Magic - anyone built any of the jigs?

Folks -

I've been going over "Table Saw Magic" by Jim Tolpin and have started building some of the jigs in the book. Have any of you built his jigs or made any mods?

He has a "Universal Fence" that everything else attaches to. It is a ~6" vertical fence that is cradled on the top of your existing rip fence. It has a T track and a couple of captive nuts, for attaching other jigs or accesories. I built it yesterday, that's the first step. Next is a vertical sled, which I am building. Toward the end of the book there's a raised panel sled that lets RT saw owners work on the right side while keeping the blade vertical. It seems as if these two vertical fence jigs could be easily combined.

I haven't *used* the two jigs I've built yet, they're still going together, but everthing looks promising. In looking at the other jigs in the book, I am continually going "A-HA!". While I may not be the sharpest tool on the bench, I know my kindling and Tolpin has some *really* insightful ideas and methods in this book.

I'd be interested to know if any of you have built his jigs and your feedback.

John Moorhead Lakeport CA

Reply to
john moorhead

Anthony Diodati

John, Are this jigs going to fit over the General (Bessy clone) fence or are you replacing it? Do they fit with friction or do they fasten some how? I guess I am going to have to get the book.

Reply to
Nuttree

What kind of wax should be used to apply to the top of the table saw, jointer, etc?

Reply to
Dave

"The exploding kind." No, sorry, that's a line from a "Pink Panther" movie.

I use Johnson's Paste Wax.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

Any paste wax that does not contain silicone (which causes problems with finishes). Avoid automobile waxes for this reason.

Johnson's Paste Wax and Minwax Paste Finishing Wax do not contain silicone. I believe there are others, also -- DAGS (do a Google search) on this newsgroup, and you'll probably find the names of one or two other silicone-free brands.

Doug Miller

I have been using Johnson's Paste wax for years. Pay no attention to the rumor that this product is discontinued. Available everywhere in the US.

Reply to
Phisherman

Well... it's available, yes, but "everywhere" is a substantial exaggeration: try finding it at Wal-Mart, for example, or Kroger. Good luck. Ya gotta know where to look. Supposedly, Home Depot and Lowe's stock it in some areas of the country, but not where I live (Indianapolis). Small hardware stores seem to be the best places to look.

Doug Miller

The auxiliary rip fence is also in the current Popular Woodworking (Feb '04). It fits on top of a Bessy clone, and is bolted to the flat top of he fence. There is a picture of the jig with the rip fence sled here:

main jig is the shorter L shaped piece on top of the fence. The sled is the tall piece in front; it hooks over and slides along the auxiliary fence. The book shows many other attachments and uses for the basic fence.

"Nuttree" wrote:

Reply to
Larry Kraus

N -

The universal fence is cradled between the two sides of the bies fence. I wanted a better way to secure it so I put a barbed threaded insert into a cleat and then sheet metal screwed the cleats, one in the front and one in the back, to the bies. I measured off the center point for everything so that now the fence will mount facing either to the left or right side of the fence using the same mounting holes. Might be handy for raised panels...

I am putting another piece of wood down the center of the top of the bies fence, in between the cleats. It has a t track in it so that I can mount and move my board buddies around. The channel arrangement also gets sheet metal screwed to the top of the bies. This provides additional support for the center of the universal fence and makes it easier to shim it square to the TS table. I'm not one for drilling holes in fences unneccesarily, but I

*really* like where Tolpin is going with his jigs - I've solved problems in my head with his jigs that I haven't built yet... Did that make sense? You get the idea...

Several of the auxillary fences that are used with the universal fence work with a slip fit using UHMW plastic. I may or may not have any left, or I'll use laminate strips.

Toplin is a big fan of T track, destaco clamps and assorted knobs, hold downs and the like. I've found the best price for T track at Grizzly - 8 bucks for 36" vs. 13 at woodcraft. For hardware knobs and the like, Grizzly has better prices too. Harbor freight had a good price on De staco clamps, but I have also got 'em on ebay at decent price. If you have any surplus stores in your area, I'd check there....

My only crit of Tolpin's book is that it would have been more convenient to have an appendix of all his jigs. As is, they pop up in the book according to the task being taught and so there is some flipping about. The index is a bit lacking as well. This may be more a point for his editors...

I also have "The Table Saw Book" by Kelly Mehler, and would recommend it, but I'd still put Tolpin's TSM at the top of the list.

My 02...

John Moorhead Lakeport CA

Reply to
john moorhead
3M makes a product called T9. Supposed to work great. Haven't tried it yet though.
Reply to
Phil

T9 is made by Boeshield and isn't for use with an actively used TS top. It's fine for storage times. It leaves too much of a film. Use wax instead.

dave

Phil wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Try looking in one of the paint aisles near the stains. I am not trying to be a wise-ass, I just know that when I asked at my local HD I was told that they didn't carry it (by several HD drones) but I finally found it with the stains and varnishes. I have seen it at every HD that I have looked.

-Chris

Reply to
Chris

All I've ever seen in the paint/stain aisles at either Lowe's or HD is Minwax Paste Finishing Wax, never any Johnson's Paste Wax. But I'll look again the next time I'm there. Thanks.

Doug Miller

T9 is NOT a 3M product

John

Reply to
John Crea

Minwax works great.

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Try looking for 'Butcher's Bowling Alley Wax' . . . yellow & red can

Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop

Reply to
Ron Magen

Stores put in strange places. I've found it in the paint section at Lowes and WalMart. And in the cleaning section at Home Depot and several grocery stores. A can of it lasts me about 5 years.

Reply to
Phisherman

I saw this used in a picture in a woodworking magazine. What surprised me was that it looked like a half pound can. I thought "bowling alley wax" would be in huge drums.

Reply to
MarcColten