Precise Alignment of Table Saw Blade, Slot and Fence using dial gauge and shop made fixtures. Demo on SawStop

Precise Alignment of Table Saw Blade, Slot and Fence using dial gauge and shop made fixtures.   Demo on SawStop open original image

Inspired by the book: “Shop Machines” by John White, I found that I could get excellent results with shop made fixtures. The only expensive thing to purchase is a good dial indicator.

Blade alignment on a table saw should be checked at three blade positions: 1) vertical at maximum height; 2) vertical at minimum height; 3) bevel 45 degrees at maximum height.

Some table saws, such as SawStop ICS, have separate adjustment for each of these alignments, but even on a saw without separate adjustments it is good to know what the alignment errors are.

Most instructions for alignment say to measure off of the blade. A better approach is to replace the blade with a rigid arm. I used 1/2 inch phenolic for the arm. An arm has two advantages, over a blade: 1) deviations on the dial gauge are amplified, which gives a better indication of the alignment error; 2) when the blade is at minimum height the arm still projects above the table so a standard dial gauge can still be used, whereas with a blade, a special vertical dial gauge would be required.

Photos below, Video here

StevenWoodward