Ping Nailshooter

Thought you might like to see this. A fiber cement cutter. Pretty clean and no dust at all.

(1)&he=bec4d8d422980f163c46356739c05c6eecb92632

Reply to
Leon

Cool tool! (cleaner links):

or:

Spalted Walt

Whoa... I wonder when that will hit the market? I looked around and couldn 't find anyone selling it. That could be a real game changer for a couple of reasons.

First, it is almost impossible to cut prefinished siding without scratching the paint/finish. If you cut it face side up, the shears scratch the face . If you cut the siding face down, you scuff the paint by dragging it acros s the horses/cutting table that has bits of siding to scratch the surface. Sliding it in and shearing it face up takes that out of the equation.

Second, you could build a cutting stand around the stand like you do with a miter saw. Mark the material, run it up to the cutting reference marks, wh ack it off and done. Think of the speed... that aspect is huge. They say i t won't cut more/less than a 4/12 slope, but when thinking about it, most o f my retro installs are on ranch type houses of low slope somewhere in that area, so it would work fine. And of course, on these nasty tudor style ro ofs of high slopes, that would work fine.

And of course, no dust. Just a large job site trash can to catch the cutof fs. Sweet!

Where in the world did you find that?

Reply to
nailshooter41

Note that similar tools without the angle adjustment are available on Amazon right now in the same general price range (look for "Bullet Tools Shear"--they have several models).

Also, it's hard to run the price of a hand-held power shear up to 600 bucks.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The Asian guy said June maybe July IIRC.

I wonder if that thing would cut laminate flooring too?

I subscribe to a trades magazine, Tools of the Trade. If you want, I can forward the e-mail that I get about once a week. It has all kinds of information like this plus industry laws, etc. It's Free, IIRC I also got the snail mail version for a while.

Reply to
Leon

I'm thinking that any shear of this type is going to be better than a hand held power shear or circular saw, Less debris/dust, less damage to painted surface, straighter cut/accuracy, and faster. If you make a living doing this type work the $699.00 might pay for it self quickly especially given the fact that you can set it up most anywhere, no dust, no electricity needed. Its own built in stand would be a plus for the one in the video.

Reply to
Leon

It didn't say, but many of these shears will.

Would love it! You have my address. Much appreciated.

What makes this one different is the fact that you move the shear like a mi ter saw, in other words, the cutting head moves. The other non powered lev er type shears out there are not popular for siding is you have to move the material (what a pain in the ass) to achieve and angle cut. Can't be reli ably operated by one man or "cutter guy". Imagine cutting a long 5/12 for the face of a gable (about 22 degrees) with one guy tailing the material an d the other guy working the shear.

Also, these have a bad reputation (not substantiated by me!) for being unre liable over the long haul. Just like the shears for the laminate flooring, if you were doing your own home or a couple of houses, these would probabl y be great.

That being said, I still think if that shear can take some job site punishm ent, it will be a out of the park home run.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Particularly the miter setup. I've done some siding on a house with a

4:12 pitch roof and it wasn't easy making the cuts.
Reply to
krw