Ouch!

Marketing to the masses, AKA the eternal quest to come up with something new to screw the woodworking consumer?

how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

No thanks ... and don't bother with the video if you don't want to puke.

Reply to
Swingman

Harbor Freight will have them out soon... and Sears. Of course one of them will have alignment and thread issues and flex in use, and the other one's design will be tinkered with to the point of making it beyond stupid in use... built in laser levels and tape measure as "added features." ;~)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

refcode=13IN01RL&utm_source=directemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1-17-13&utm_campaign=13IN01RL>>>>>> Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ... >

:) But, but ... lasers or soooo late 20th century. LOL

In the interest of "don't criticize without adding an alternative":

For joining frameless cabinets as shown in the video, and stated as the designed for use, it's hard to beat a good Fstyle or Kbody at half the price, or less:

Swingman

>> Wonder how deep the discount will be at this time next year ...

I wonder too.

Okay, I will admit to having purchased a set of the Jorgensen 8510 "Cabinet Claw" clamps about a dozen years ago when doing a full kitchen makeover. Hey! It seemed a good idea at the time and it actually was.

Google the 8510 and compare the difference to the "new improved" P.O.S. depicted in Woodcraft's ad.

The 8510 was heavy duty, large knobs to clamp down, no flex, snugged the face frames dead nuts flat and the stiles as tight as could be AND each was equipped with a bushed pilot drill hole to get your screws started perfectly perpendicular after everything was correctly positioned. Think I paid $49 or $55 for them early in the Millennium and have loaned the out to several buddies over the years.

Looking at the new ones, I wouldn't give them a second look. Improved? I don't think so. Not at the price I paid back in the day and for damn sure not what they are looking to get now.

The video is the best part. That clown from Jorgensen is a really great spokesperson, eh? I wonder if he ever used a clamp?

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Like you, I love my Jorgensen 8510's ... but for _face frame_ cabinets, not frameless, which is what this clown is selling.

I use the Jorgensen 8510's exclusively when joining face frame cabinets. Well worth the price, and nothing beats them for functionality and ease of use for that application, IME.

Reply to
Swingman

"New, improved, Now With lasers and mirrors for perfect accuracy." with sticker "Caution: Do not look into laser with remaining eye."

Since many cabinets come with faceframes, do they also make a faceframe-compatible model for "only $229, + s/h and taxes"?

-- Average # of people killed in mass shooting when stopped by police: 18.25 Average # of people killed when stopped by civilians: 2

Save lives: Keep Civilians Armed!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Their marketing folks would dictate that you buy the clamp and a face frame accessory kit thus garnering them double the gross profits if you buy both. However, since the face frame kit is an accessory it will not be in stock so you have to order it on-line or through the store. This latter need will garner them shipping and handling revenue far in excess of their costs...

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

refcode=13IN01RL&utm_source=directemail&utm_medium=email&utm_content=1-17-13&utm_campaign=13IN01RL>>>>>>>>>

Thought for sure you were going to shoe these clamps. did you forget these?

Leon

four hours ago ... in the conversation about the 8510's :)

On 1/18/2013 9:45 AM, Swingman wrote:> On 1/18/2013 9:35 AM, Unquestionably Confused wrote: >

Maybe you didn't get it from the server?

Reply to
Swingman

I bought a pair of these some twenty years ago. Not as fast to use as your 8510's, but they still work well and are very adjustable.

Dave

Happened to be in Menard's last night and lo and behold they still have the 8510's in stock. $59.95.

Whatever is Jorgensen thinking with that new crap that Karl stumbled across for the big bucks?

The size alone - compared to the 8510's - had me thinking, "Here's a guy using a jeweler's hammmer for some framing.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused