THANK YOU (Help sawing straight)

THANK YOU, THANK YOU Group. Purchased new 6-1/2" blade (Irwin). Solved all my problems. Cut jig and subsequently made 9 full length cuts in 1-1/8" plywood for my stair treads (10-1/8" wide) What a difference a sharp blade makes!

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Tools don't make the man, but bad ones can sure unmake the man!!!

Reply to
clare

Make sure you install it in the right direction, too. DAMHIKT

Reply to
krw

AWESOME! Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
OFWW

Perhaps you should post your solution in the original thread. You know, sort of close it out for anyone who comes across that thread later on.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You may joke about that, but I have a lefty porter cable and I did one time put a ply blade (HSS) on backward. The smoke was outstanding as I was cutting through a cabinet to cut the kickplate are off of it so I could put it on wheels. Glad it was not carbide, as I am sure I would have knocked them all off.

On my lefty saw, if you see he label, it's on wrong.

Reply to
woodchucker

Yes being use to seeing the print on the blade will throw you off if you are putting the blade on a backwards setup.

FWIW a siding and or steel building fabricators will use a carbide blade backwards to get a smoother cut.

Reply to
Leon

Quit hanging around with that kind of contractor!

Seriously, there are a lot better solutions than the old backwards blade tr ick. It doesn't work well with carbide blades anyway. At least not as wel l as when we did that with steel blades.

This is today's solution. Note that they aren't any more expensive that a moderately priced carbide blade for wood cutting:

Non ferrous:

Ferrous:

They make blades that will dry cut ferrous materials up to 16 gauge! That' s pushing 1/8". I actually discovered those a few years ago when a friend of mine told me that he had seen a show on barbecuing where there was a seg ment on making a pit from a propane tank. He told me he saw a guy "with a Skilsaw cutting a tank in two". He bought one of the blades and it chewed right through a propane tank!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

But I love my left handed PC saw.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

LOL..

I think I saw that on TOH.

Reply to
Leon

I don't go by the label anymore. It's easier to visualize the rotation rather then remembering whether that saw is an innie or outie.

Yes, I used my RAS to cut vinyl-clad aluminum siding for the addition I built on my first house.

Reply to
krw