Thank you!

All y'all have a splendid Memorial Day and a big Thank You to all that have served, given, sacrificed to protect us. And thank you to those that give time to those that have sacrificed.

Reply to
Leon

You're welcome, and a great weekend to you!

Reply to
G Ross

As G. Ross said, You are welcome.

To be honest, it is just what we felt called to do. That being said, "Its nice to be appreciated, it was not always the case."

Reply to
Dr. Deb

You are welcome. I am happy to have done my small part.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Thank you, Leon.

nb --USAF '66-70'

Reply to
notbob

Regardless, you stepped up and handled the situation for all of us. I deeply appreciate that.

Reply to
Leon

Like to toss my name in the hat thanking all that served.

It is a shame that all of you guys couldn't be down here in sunny San Anton io this Memorial Day. I am a chairman of a small nonprofit, and for the la st 7 years we have put on this BBQ at a large local park to honor all men a nd women that have served our country. We ask for a donation, and all the money raised (100%!)goes to the fund we have set up to serve Christmas Dinn er to the troops and their families at the Fisher House. To date we have s erved about 2000 troops and their families that are at the Fisher House, or at Brooks Hospital.

At the BBQ, all vets and all men and women in uniform can come by and eat o n us. We have had the pleasure of serving troops from WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Operation Desert Storm, Desert Shield, and the current conflict.

This year I couldn't be more excited. From all our efforts, we may be able to no only put on our Christmas Eve Dinner, but also give about $5000 in ca sh donations to be dispersed by the Fisher House to families with the great est needs. Our little group is sure excited about this possibility.

We also do a "Football Sunday" at the Fisher House where we serve hamburger s cooked and assembled to order, and gourmet hot dogs we get from a local s upplier.

This is all good stuff for me and mine. It is quite humbling to be at the Fisher House and have families repeated thank you for dinner, thank you on behalf of their loved ones, or come to the kitchen to get dinners to go tha t will be going to the hospital room of those to injured to join us in pers on.

We have come a long way. These events started on a whim, when we were doin g a Football Sunday and the Asst. Director of the Fisher House remarked tha t it was a shame we couldn't be there for Christmas Eve. He told us that h e understood that people wanted to be with their own families enjoying them and spending time with them, but he noted that the Fisher House was pretty empty and lonely on Christmas Eve. We had the dinner put together in abou t 6 weeks, and we were so well received that we have been doing it ever sin ce.

It is hard on our own families that want us to be around for holidays, but nothing like the the hardships that families of those trying to cope with a trooper that has faced wounds seen or unseen, in the service or our countr y. It is hard for me to sit on the sidelines with my hands in my pocket whe n there is so much that needs to be done for our servicemen.

So thanks again to all that served! If you are somewhere in S. Texas, come on by and join us at Raymond Rimkus Park in Leon Valley, TX.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

And a big thank you too you for your generosity!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Aye! God bless them all.

Reply to