Not looking good for the Bosch Reaxx TS

Evidently you know little about bags. Most people have no reason to study them. Yes, some are patented as they use a particular blend of material, have certain properties or closures. The industry continues to to advance.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The copper alloy lines used by many european manufacturers lastrs virtually forever.(Copper-nickel alloy C70600,) It is becoming more readily available in the North American Automotive Aftermarket over the last few years.

Reply to
clare

The bags are not made of petro-plastic. They are (at least the ones we use here for composible refuse - food waste etc) made of corn or soy and are fully biodegradable. And they ARE patented (AT least the plastic they are made of is) and the few companies authorized to make them DO have an "enforced monopoly" For yard waste we have to use multi-layer paper bags which are widely available from many suppliers and retailers.

Reply to
clare

And doesn't seem only natural to use paper bags... follow the money to see why patented city approved bags are the only ones you can use....

Reply to
Leon

Why would you believe that plastic bags couldn't be patented. I can easily imagine that a patent would be granted on some greenie bio-degradable, not-from-oil, bag or the process from which it's made.

Reply to
krw

I'm not being specific because my statment is true of _all_ stainless steel. Google "crevice corrosion".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Agreed. There'll always be a need to re-answer old questions as new people show up. But few topics inspire passionate responses by the hundreds every time :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Thanks for keeping us in line Larry. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Not true with my exhaust system. The stainless steel exhaust has never once been cleaned and it is now 16+ years old, and in the rust belt. Surely GM could have used the same stuff in the brake lines, which is magnitudes more important than the exhaust system as far as safety goes.

Thanks for that, I never received that recall notice, but did get the notice on the tailgate straps. I looked it up and the recall is for them to clean the sensors. That works temporarily until they get dirty again. They also are to check the wheel speed sensor, which apparently doesn't work on my truck, allowing the screwed up ABS system to fire off at high speeds? Not sure why it wouldn't go off at high speeds if you are sliding, but who knows?

Personally, after several heart stopping misfires on dry pavement, I don't want ABS period if there is ever a chance they will fire off at the wrong time. I think I'll just leave the fuse out rather than risk my life with a defective system.

They sued VW billions for cheating on MPG crap, I think braking systems are WAY more important and GM should be sued out of business for the crappy ABS stuff and for sure the rusting brake line crap.

Reply to
Jack

So you never go through a car wash?

And what pressure does your exhaust have to withstand? What pressure do your brake lines have to withstand?

It doesn't matter what the brake lines are made of, a 16 year old vehicle should have them inspected and replaced as necessary.

You're expecting magic materials to take the place of proper maintenance.

Reply to
J. Clarke

That's fine, you don't like it, skip it.

Should everyone but newbies ask forgiveness for participating in topics Larry is no longer interested in?

If you were forced to read every message posted, I could see you trying to get everyone to kowtow to your views, but of course you are free to read what you want. If a topic is popular, naturally it will garner plenty of response. If it's not popular, it will die a natural death, with no need for Larry's help.

In the old (very, very old days, before the internet) People like you would bitch because it wasted bandwidth. It was a lie then, because it wasn't really about the bandwidth, it was a control freak issue, just as it is today.

Yeah, right. You're worried that people participating in a topic you find not interesting is keeping them from woodworking. That's a new twist on the bandwidth crap. Just skip what you don't like and stop trying to control everything.

Reply to
Jack

Agreed. But on the Sawstop topic it's mostly the same 5-10 posters who've been obsessing on the issue since the beginning. According to Google, there have been 164 posts by only 17 authors. 'Nuff said?

My wife and friends got a good laugh out of that one! If there are any control freaks here, it's the ones who decry or defend the ethics of the Sawstop founder.

But you've convinced me that I'm pissing into the wind. So I'll stop.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I'd agree if the lines lasted that long. In 55 years of driving, I never replaced corroded brake lines until rather recently. I drove plenty of 10 to 15 year old crap cars but two newer cars (2001 and 2010) needed brake lines after six years.

That said, the 2001 Buick was falling apart in six years and I ended up giving it away. Last GM car for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My 1985 LeBaron rotted the lines - but at about the same point where the body was too weak to put it on the hoist to repair it The 1995 TransSport also split a line. I've seen a lot of late model cars rust the line under the clip that holds it in place. (Plastic or metal clip doesn't seem to make a difference) m 21 year old ford Ranger still has all original lines but it has been under-oiled since new and all the lines are well caked with a layer of grease and dirt. (just watch - now one will let go - serve me right for opening my big mouth - - - )

Reply to
clare

In the south a good many car washes do not hit the bottom of the vehicle, only the wheels/wheel wells and the body.

But the old exhaust systems rusted from within. Lot's of nasty crap coming from inside the exhaust including condensation that mixes to form some concoction. Remember the sulfur smell that was very common with GM vehicles equipped with catalytic converters in the 70's? These systems rusted out quickly and then the stainless steel exhaust systems began showing up and the problem has virtually gone away down here. The old steel exhaust systems looked fine on the outside but with just a little pressure with a pair of channel locks and you could easily crush and put a hole in the pipe.

Reply to
Leon

2002 Mitsubishi Galant. Brake lines rusted out, strut towers rusted out, body rusted out, water was leaking in from under the globe compartment. I sold it to my mechanic for the price of scrap so he could teach his son how to fix cars. 2 weeks later he found out that the frame was rusted out so he rewrote the lesson plan. He taught his son how to part out junk cars.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

In the south corrosion from road salt is not an issue. Driving on the beach on the other hand . . .

Town I grew up in (north Florida)had a couple of pulp mills. The pulp mills provided a drivethrough rinsedown as a courtesy to employees to clean the fly ash off their cars. The rinsedown hit the underside. Everybody who knew about it went over to the pulp mill and ran through the rinsedown after driving on the beach (it was a different world then--security was a lot less stringent).

Reply to
J. Clarke

Mitsushitis and Mazdas still rust like it's 1984.

Reply to
clare

When I lived 3 miles from the coast we had a very long island, Padre Island, that allowed vehicles on the beach. As you were leaving the island there was a 4 way spray wash to go throuhg. And rust was an issue.

Houston, you don't see rust and I have never seen a spray wash any where, even on Galveston island. I actually don't think they drive on the beach and if so only a small area.

Reply to
Leon

"J. Clarke" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Nonsense. Metal brake lines are not a "maintenance" item, even on a 16-yo vehicle.

In more than forty years of doing the vast majority of my own maintenance and repair, I've had to replace a corroded brake line exactly once: last March, on the Dodge truck which my wife and I bought new shortly after we got married -- in 1985.

Reply to
Doug Miller