Looking at Bosch 5412l sliding mitre saw

I'm thinking about buying the Bosch 5412l saw, from Amazon. Looks like a good deal, just wondering if anyone has one or knows if it is any good. It's $549 with free shipping. Any helpful info welcome. See it at:

at the Bosch website:
Jimmy

Reply to
Jimmy

at:

or at the Bosch website:
10" version got rated Best Overall in Fine Woodworking recently. I've used the 12" and found it to be very user friendly. Unless you're looking to spend a lot more money on an Omga or a CTD I think you'll be very happy with it.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

website:

> The 10" version got rated Best Overall in Fine Woodworking recently.

Reply to
Jimmy

over a 10" slider. Sure the 12" has a rebate on it now that makes it not much more, but 12" blades are more expensive than 10" so it will cost you even more over the long run.

I have the 10" single bevel bosch slider and I've been happy with it.

There's supposed to be this little black 90 degree elbow that goes on it before the dust bag that I couldn't get to go on, so I hooked the bag directly to it. I found that it would get clogged up, because it takes time for the bag to inflate and the part at the neck is the last to open up, by which time your cut is already done. I don't know if having that elbow in there prevents that, but what I did was cut a toilet paper roll and tape it into the neck of the bag. Now it doesn't get clogged up and a lot more sawdust ends up in the bag. It still throws more than half of it all over the place, but at least it's something.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Don't have this problem with my Bosch. The elbow won't fit when the room temperature is too cold. Try dropping it into a cup of hot water and than use liquid soap as lubricant.

Reply to
** Frank **

Well, I guess it's worth "asking", but imo the answer would unequivocally be "Of course!". :)

All it takes is the one project the 10" doesn't have the capacity and you've made it worth it and would be kicking yourself for being cheap back then when had the chance.

The cost differential for blades is pretty inconsequential item on which to make the judgment imo. If they were a high-volume consumable, perhaps, but given the lifetime of a quality blade, not a big deal for a saw...

imo, ymmv, $0.02, etc., ...

--

Reply to
dpb

but you loose accuracy with a 12" as the blade flexes.

Reply to
Steve knight