Will palm nailer work on finish nails?

I'm looking for a good muti-purpose air nailer, which I'd only use for occassional products. I'd rather have one nailer that I can use for different projects, rather than buy a separate framing nailer, a separate finish nailer, etc.

I'm considering buying this Bostich Palm Nailer

which is on sale today for $39 today (regularly $100). However, the description doesn't say if it will work with finish nails.

Anyone have experience using this or other palm nailers with finish nails? Will it put indentations in the wood if, for instance, you're pounding finish nails into the frame of a new window?

Any other advice on how well a palm nailer works for a variety of projects, and with a variety of nail types, would be appreciated!

Reply to
DK

If it does not say, I doubt that it will. The nailing requirements for framing and finishing are so different, it would be a difficult compromise to do both reasonably well.

This is about as close is you will come.

Edwin Pawlowski

I have owned a palm nailer, and if i remember right, it came with a finish tip that i never used. however, the only use IMO for one is for nailing in those situations where you don't have room to swing your hammer, like nailing joist hangar nails into the side of joists for example. i was on a job where we had to put tension straps on joists with a million 10 d nails each, and a lot of people would try the palm nailer, but noone stuck with it. they are noisy and sort of irritating to use. I can't imagine using one on finish work. just as fast and more pleasant to swat nails in with your hammer.

Reply to
marson

I haven't used the finish nail tip that came with my Harbor Freight palm nailer. But I used it to put in a few hundred joist hangers. If you don't stop pressing when the nail head contacts the metal hanger, it will freakin pop the head right off a 16 penny nail and drive the remainder in until the heavy metal plate is dented about as far as you want it to be.

-- Dennis

Reply to
DT

DT spake thus:

Doesn't that hurt your hand?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've used one for framing. I can't see how it could possibly handle finish nails. Your trim would be pecked all over by it.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Even if it could a finish nailer may be worth the investment because of the number of nails you need to put in usually and will be more accurate - just hold the tip to the nail spot and fire. I love my Porter Cable.

Steve

Reply to
Steven L Umbach

Not a bit. Palm nailers pop away like a little steam engine, and the nailer is fairly heavy compared to the power piston. There is very little reaction on your hand even with thick 16 penny galvanized nails. Very nice to use in awkward situations.

-- dennis

Reply to
DT

imho:

Only time I've seen a palm nailer used, is when the area around the nail didn't allow for a regular nail gun, or a manual hammer. So it doesn't seem like a one-size-for-all solution.

As for finish nailer, finish nails should be hammered below the surface of the wood, so it can be made almost invisible with wood putty. A palm nailer has a big head, and once the nail head gets close to the surface, the head migh beat up on the wood.

Now don't take this post as fact, go check one out at your local hard ware store.

later,

tom @

Tom The Great