Norm's brad nailer....

I have to confess that I watch NYW every week & have collected the tapes of each show for years. I have all but maybe 15 or so projects (thanks to HGTV).

More to the point. Every time I see Norm glue and the shoot a 1 1/4 inch brad into a dado (or whatever) I think to myself that the head of his nailer is very small compared to my PC brad nailer. I can't get into the joint as close as Norm does. My brads wind up standing proud & I have to set them manually (God!).

It looks like a Senco, but because it's PBS they try to cover the logo so I'm not sure.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Lou...

I bought Harbor Freight's cheapest (US$15) and it's done a first class job for me (@ 115 psi).

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Yep, its a Senco as I recall. Can't rember what model

John

Reply to
John Crea

Never seen Normy with anything but PC but then again I don't pay much attention sometimes. PC makes at least two in the 18ga model...the 5/8" to

1 1/4" model is a pretty small tool all around >
Reply to
Tom Kohlman

It's a Senco SLP20. It only has a 1 1/2" shooting capacity, but that is about all you need.

Reply to
Dennis Swan

Norm has used several air nailers over the years. In the brad category he first used a Bostich T31 (Hall of Fame on my Norm's Tools page at my site). He's mostly replaced that with the Senco SLP20 (also HoF), but there have been appearances by some others. He has used a Porter-Cable BN200, an Accuset A200BN, a no name T31 clone, a Paslode

16ga nailer (actually that's more of a finish nailer), and the P-C PIN100 pin nailer.

The BN200 has had sporadic appearances, but the T31 and the SLP20 have been on consistently. The Accuset was only used twice, as was the Paslode. The PIN100 first appeared just last season, and was seen at least once this season, so I don't think we've seen the last of it.

I'd be surprised if the SLP20 ever goes away. I had a T31 and I have an SLP20 and the Senco is much better.

Keep in mind that when Norm first started shooting those nails through the dado he was using the Bostich N60FN. When the Bostich was replaced with the Senco SFN40, he used the SFN40 for a while for the same purpose. Then he started using the SLP20 for that and we haven't seen the SFN40 since.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I'l bet he reads this and laughs.

-Dan V.

Reply to
Dan Valleskey

I'll try to keep that in mind.

Reply to
mp

I think he did. . . right after he thought about the potential of his being stalked by a crazed hobbyist.

Hey, we all have our particular madness, but somehow, a litany of brad nailer appearances (which is, I am very certain, is indeed accurate) smacks of celebrity cult idolatry taken a tad over the top. Sort of like cataloging jock straps used by Dennis Rodman over the years (well, he started with an XL "Bike"....)

Mutt

Reply to
Mutt

Laughs because we talk so much about him, or laughs because LRod knows every single tool he's ever used? :-)

Chuck Vance Just say (tmPL) I know which one I think is funnier.

Reply to
Conan The Librarian

Hi LRod,

Damn...you are the man! Just the information I was after.

I thought it was a Senco. I have the PC 100, 200, 250 & a heavy duty Bostitch for shooting 3 1/2 full headers.

And I thought I was anal about this stuff... but do you have all the videos?

I'm off to check out your site.

Seriously tho, thanks!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Real men don't use compressors. They eat beans for breakfast and supply their own compressed air.

Reply to
mp

He used to use a Bostich N80S for projects that needed framing, but that's a clipped head gun. Later he used a Senco SN70 (also a clipped head gun) for the same purpose in a couple of projects.

There are enough people with questions that wanting to help answer them inspired me to do the research. I happened to have a bunch of episodes on tape when I decided to start, which made it easier. Then HGTV had a veritable blitz of episodes (four per day) for a few years, which made it easy to catch back episdoes that I didn't have, and in some cases, had forgotten.

I do.

Thank you, Lou. It's reactions like yours that make me glad I put the site together.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Have you ever removed the tip "pad"? The tip is much smaller without the plastic cushion.

My PC nailer will almost fire it through the board if I set it up to do so, or leave it proud, if I choose. What air pressure are you using?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I'd have to disagree. Imo, what's taken over the top here is your assessment of LRod's hobby. ;>

No, what's it's sorta like is someone who has a collection. Some people collect handplanes. Some collect knowledge. Some "collect" trivia.

Seems to me LRod's just got a really _great_ collection of trivia. But it isn't trivial trivia. If there's a tool in LRod's "NYW Hall of Fame", it's there for a reason, and one could probably make worse purchase decisions than to buy a tool that gets continual use in that shop.

No flame intended here, Mutt, just my perspective.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Baglio

Thanks Barry. I've never tried to remove the pad, but I have varied the pressure to achieve the "set" I was after.

Norm has that tiny tipped nailer - looking old and worn now. Just watched/taped the Gardeners Dry Sink (1613). He used it again! Also used a pin nailer which I don't remember seeing in a previous episode. The portable OSS I vaguely remember in maybe one other episode. Have to check L-Rod's site again.

Thanks all for the help & comments!

Lou

Reply to
loutent

You're going to be surprised. He's used the PIN100 eight times since its introduction last season. The PC-121 OSS has been used three times.

Just in case anyone's wondering (and in reference to another thread) I won't be cataloging Norm's socks.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Have you ever seen the "Saturday Night Live" skit about the Mr. Belvedere Fan Club?

I find your site interesting and entertaining, keep it up!

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I haven't. What era of SNL? There are several. I'm from the Chevy Chase, Bill Murray, John Belushi era.

Thank you.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Rod: LOL. Your shameless whoring of your site led me to visit it, and indeed you appear to have accurately listed the various tool appearances. Not having visited before and seen the details you have gathered, I was just totally blown away by the level of detail regarding the brad nailer appearances discussed above - and that generated my reply. Again, we all have our madnesses, and god knows I certainly have mine (did I ever mention the special qualities of New Zealand sheep over the Australian.... er, well, sort of OT here), but I meant no disrespect as to what might be yours.

By the way, I agree socks are not all that interesting, but what about Norm's flannel shirts?? :-) mutt.

Reply to
Mutt