97524 Harbor Freight 2-in-1 18ga nailer / stapler

Any opinions about this gun?

I have a PC 18ga 2" brad nailer and 15ga finish nailer. Both excellent.

This HF gun was 17.99, and the stapler seemed like it might come in handy some day.

Fastener capacity: Brad nails 1/2" to 2", Staples 3/4" to 1-1/2"

Reply to
kansascats

I have bought a couple of their brad guns for use when I had employees. They were incredibly sturdy, and cheaper than buying a rebuild kit for my Bostitch guns. (So I got the Bostitch, they go the HF). They make excellent "standby" guns and shop guns.

BUT... this particular gun seems to be nothing but problems. I don't have one as I already have a couple of small staplers. But three different guys I know have bought them and said the jam like the crazy, and while they aren't too bad to get back to work, they described as little as 3 - 4 staples shot between jams.

As always, just my 0.02.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

kansascats wrote in news:d8f4d014-d45d-4075-b897- snipped-for-privacy@q21g2000yqm.googlegroups.com:

Want one? Just pay shipping and I'll dig it out of the garage sale pile for you. The gun often fails to advance the nails for the next firing, and leaves a divot in the wood when it does so. (I was using the nails that came with the kit.)

When it worked, it was nice. However, it hardly ever worked.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I had one of these for a week. It wouldn't make it through 10 brads without jamming. You have to take three hex screws out to clear a jam. The next model up is only a brad nailer, but it has a quick release top to clear jams. I've never had a jam with this better model. But no staples.

Reply to
ocnmocn

On 2/24/2010 8:55 PM kansascats spake thus:

I have no direct knowledge of this tool, but I looked it up on the Harbor Freight Reviews site

. The two reviews there were positive, although the first complained that the nailer left marks on the work, and the second pointed out that they only used brand-name nails. So maybe the nails were the problem, not the nailer.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I've never heard of this brand, but woodcraft has this combo on sale for

80 bucks.

Anyone familiar with Freeman?

Reply to
-MIKE-

I know 2 people who bought that POS. As others have said it jams frequently and is a real pain to clear. Since you already have an 18ga brad nailer why not just get the 1/4" stapler(97521). I have one of them and it has been jam free for about 2,000 staples. List is $20 but on sale it is a lot less. Art

Reply to
Artemus

Among other brad nailers, I have a "Delta" brand 18ga bradder that also shoots narrow (1/4") crown staples. Amazing how much use that gun gets.

Reply to
Swingman

On Wed, 24 Feb 2010 23:59:26 -0800 (PST), the infamous " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" scrawled the following:

I have the HF 18ga brad nailah, their 18ga 1/4" crown stapler/nailer, their 1/2" crown stapler, and their 11ga framing nailer. The only time I get apparent misfires whenever I forget to reload 'em. The only time I get real problems is when they're receiving less than 55psi of air. I oil them (2 drops) about every two hours of use, a normal month.

-- "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Reply to
Larry Jaques

10,000 years ago when they came out with the dual purpose guns, I never used one or had one that was reliable.

So I bought a brad gun, then a narrow crown stapler. It has installed a few houses worth of soffit, and who knows how many backs on utility cabinets. In a pinch (sorry paint guys....) I have used it to shoot on paint grade door trim.

Good for some repairs, too. Those little staples hold a lot for their small size.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Yep, at least two-fer-one holding power over a single brad.

Only paid what amounted to a HF throw-a-way price on the Delta dual at a clearance somewhere and it's turned out to be a reliable staple gun.

Bought it for a very specific purpose ... generally use "vent skin" construction on a house with siding and bought it to staple the 9" screen insect barrier we run at the bottom of the 1 x 4 furring strips on top of the sheathing. It's done two or three houses worth of that, and I just used it to staple 100' 3x2 mesh on two chicken coops within the last few weeks, and it still has yet to misfire a staple that I'm aware of.

It does indeed misfire the occasional brad however, particularly when it hits the interface between two sticks, or shoots a double, as Leon will attest to, as we use it a lot to hold reinforcing "cleats" 'while the glue dries' on the topside and underside of wall and base cabinets.

.. and, on topic, there's that mostly reliable $14.95 HF brad nailer that's still firing brads in the shop, at least 98% of the time, for almost ten years. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Well.. guess I'll pull it out of the box (no case with mine) and fire a few rounds of staples that I bought. Since I have the PC 2" brad nailer -- and don't ever recall a jam, I'll just test out the stable functionality of the HF.

I have a HF 21 degree, 10 ga. framing nailer that works pretty well. The real nuisance is that sometimes it double fires. I bought it quite a few years ago -- didn't use it much until last fall when I built a 8' x 8' shed. Partially my inexperience I'm sure, but I had trouble getting a consistent drive depth, and as noted, the 1 out of

50 or so double fires. I wish I could just shut off it's ability to do the fire w/o pulling the trigger another time.
Reply to
kansascats

Results -- I fired 100 rounds of 1" staples

- no jams

- the depth seems a little inconsistent -- I was nailing pine to pine and osb to osb. The depth adjustment was preset to a max and min. I opened up the max and it would then drive below the surface -- however that may have contributed to the next problem..

- the only issue I had was at times it did not "retract" -- if that makes sense. It would fire.. but no not pull back the firing pin (or whatever it's called). I pulled it apart a several times, oiled it up good, and put about 5 total drops of oil in the air inlet. Not sure if that fixed it or not -- but the problem went away.

- I did not fire any brads, only 1" staples

Reply to
kansascats

So out of curiosity -- when stapling -- how deep do you drive it? I guess it depends on whether you want to break the surface of the material -- or if you want the bottom of the staple to be flush with the material.

Reply to
kansascats

There ya go. You answered your own question. Just remember, when you "sink" the staple you take away from its holding ability.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41