Replacement nails for Porter-Cable Finish Nailer

I have a Porter-Cable Model FN250B Finish Nailer and I am going to need to buy replacement nails. The manual gives a warning "Use approved Porter-Calbe fastners only." I am having problems finding Porter-Cables finish nails near to where I live but I can purchase Hitachi finish nails.

What is the problem with using other fastners than the approved fastners? Will the other fastners damage my finish nailer?

Thanks for your help.

Marv Watson

Reply to
Marv Watson

You may get dissenting opinions, but I believe the main reason they state this is to sell more nails!

I've used all different brands of nails in my PC finish, framing, and brad nailers with no problems.

I do buy only brand name nails from the major manufacturers, however. I know some folks have had problems with jamming when using cheap nails.

Just make sure the nails you buy are the right style for your nailer; most brand names provide a cross reference right on the box.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Other brands work just fine, I use Bostich nail in my PC finish nailer all the time. I used Menards store brand also.

Reply to
Mike

Paul and Mike,

Thanks for the information. I was hoping that was the case.

Marv Watson

Reply to
Marv Watson

They may not fit properly.

Maybe, maybe not.

Home Depot and Lowes both carry PC nails here in CT. Amazon.com and Coastal Tool sells them by mail, along with many other sources.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

The only reason I can think of is if you screw up your nailer with non-PC nails, they will point the blame at the nails and not honor a warranty repair. I use Bostitch in my PC nailer all the time and they work fine.

Speaking of technical genius at companies, I have a Dell All-in-One A920 ink jet printer. The printer is really a Lexmark printer. The Lexmark and the Dell are identical except for the brand on the label, AND, get this: Lexmark "codes" (there is a little circuit board on the cartridge) the Dell ink replacement cartridges different from the Lexmark brand, rendering the Lexmark cartridges useless in a "Dell" printer. You cannot buy a Dell ink cartridge anywhere except Dell. Those bastards. Refilling them only works for so long. Epson is even worse. They code EACH ink cartridge, so if you refill and put it back in, the printer still thinks it's empty and won't print. I figured out how to get around that one (search Google). Those bastards. Oh yeah, I already said that. Sorry for the off-topic vent.

Bob

Reply to
bob

Razor blade marketing. Give away the printers and charge $6,000 a gallon for coloured ink. For anyone doing a lot of printing with their inkjet a continuous inking system (such as those from inksupply.com or inkjetgoodies.com) will save a huge amount of money.

Reply to
mp