Porter Cable vs. Bostitch Finish Nailer Combo Kits

After manually installing baseboards in half my house and borrowing my neighbor's nail gun/compressor for another quater, I'm ready to take the plung and buy my own finish nailer. I looked around the local big box stores and found a couple of good deals. HD has a Porter Cable "starter kit" details below for $299:

Brad nailer kit (BN125A) Uses 18 gauge, 5/8" to 1-1/4" brad nails. Finish-Nailer kit (FN250B) Uses 16 gauge, 3/4" to 2-1/2" finish nails. Features include adjustable depth-of-drive, jam release mechanism and non-marring nose tip, 10 Amp, 120 VAC, 2 Peak HP motor, Oil-free design for less maintenance, Ability to run on standard household current. 3.7 SCFM @ 40 PSI - 2.6 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

And Lowes has a (suspiciously) similar Bostitch kit for $299, details below:

Depth adjustment Sequential trip trigger

2 HP, 6 gallon compressor 1-1/2" 16 gauge finish nailer kit 15/8" 18 gauge brad nailer kit Includes hose and all required fittings 70 to 120 psi required to operate tool

My question is should I just toss a coin? Who is the better manufacturer? Which one is of a better quality? I see a definite possibility of renting/buying a framing nailer to build a shed next summer, would that make a difference in the recommendation?

Thanks, Mark

Reply to
Mark Witczak

Toss away. I have a PC and a Bostitch. Both are equally good, IMO. This is a case where you can use all the wrong reasons and make the right decision. Buy the one with the pretty color. Or buy the one with the cute sales person. Or buy the one with the 20¢ off coupon. Or the closest on the way home from work.

OK, I'll toss, you call it.

+ + + + + +
  • It came out TAILS
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Did you really mean 1-1/2" for Bostitch, vs 2-1/2" for PC? That extra inch makes a difference in terms of holding power, etc. I have the PC compressor and it works well. I have Senco nail guns which I bought on special on Amazon. They have deals there, too.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

I bought the PC kit from amazon.com several months ago. Works great, no complaints. BTW, amazon.com has the same kit for $299 - $25 for any tool purchase over $199. Free shipping & no sales tax...

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I would wait on either, till around the first of October. PC usually will come around with some deals to clear out their inventory and some good deals may be had to make room for next years stuff that'll showcase for Christmas.

Reply to
Joseph Smith

I just put the second replacement trigger assembly on my Bostich. And I seldom use it. I would vote for the Porter Cable (which my brother has). He has never had any problems with it.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Try Harbor Freight I have 2 finish mailers from them and use the crap out of them.

Reply to
SQLit

I have to agree here. I have a PC just because I like PC but I have used both. If I were in the market for another one, I would buy which ever was available.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, 2 different style guns. The Bostich is a Brad nailer while the PC is a Finish nailer. I'd go for the finish nailer myself.

Reply to
Leon

I bought the Porter Cable Combo kit from HD several months ago and am very happy with it. No problems. Works great.

Jim

Jim

Fifteen gauge? If so, do you use any non HF nails?

Reply to
p_j

I bought the Old Starter Kit from HD a year or two ago - just the compressor and the FN250B. Recently added a HF brad nailer for $20.

I like the FN250B. The compressor is fine, although the On/Off switch broke off of it shortly.

I agree with some of the others - toss a coin.

Reply to
patrick conroy

The deciding factor for me was the availability on nails at various different hardware stores in my area. The PC type were readily available. Nails for the Bostitch were not.

Nova

Reply to
Bob Peterson

Is there much of a difference between 15 & 16 guage as far as usefulness is concerned? I will be doing do all the finish work in my new house.

Remove the 'remove' in my address to e:mail me.

Reply to
SteveC1280

I have a Bostitch office stapler (for paper) that is over 40 years old. It is built like a tank. But, for air nailer guns, my choice would be Porter Cable. Senco is the Cadillac of air guns.

Reply to
Phisherman

Swingline Model 747 circa 1983.

No one's allowed to touch my stapler. No one...

Reply to
patrick conroy

HAVE THE PORTER CABLE COMBO, NO PROBLEMS, GOOD PRESSUE, LASTS A LONG TIME BEFORE CYCLING ON, IE LESS LOUD RUN TIME. WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT. ALSO GOT A GREAT DEAL LAST YEAR AT THE BORG. IF YOU CAN WAIT, AMAZON IS ALSO AN EXCELLENT WAY TO GO. BOUGHT MY TABLE SAW FROM THEM. WHAT A SAVINGS.

REMOVE REMOVE TO EMAIL

Reply to
superpac

Yes. Big difference.

I can't think of anything you do with a 16 gauge that can't be done with an 18 gauge. Not so with 15.

Reply to
p_j

My Harbor Freight $18 nailer just quit. (800 sq. FT. basement remodel, lots of trim). Just bought my second one ($14.60 after 20% coupon). Very happy. I should probably buy 2, for backup.

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary