Good Rust Remover

Hi All,

I'm probably not understanding the process of rust removal, but does anyone know of a good rust remover that doesn't destroy the metal finish (not the paint, the shine). I have some nice polished steel squares that had spots of rust I wanted to remove. I used "Oxysolve" that I bought from Grizzly and it completely ruined the finish. Says it supposedly puts some kind of zinc coating on your steel after it's dried. If you ask me it's a lame excuse for saying we ruin your finish after you use our product. My square has absolutely no shine anywhere, it's completely dull. Damn!

Sorry if I'm being ignorant.

TIA

Reply to
James Dean

Topsaver. It is a liquid rust remover made for table saw tops and the like. After treating my saw top, it was a good as new. Spray it on, scrub with a (supplied) plastic scrubby thing, wipe off and it was perfect. I know Woodcraft carries it and probably many other tools suppliers.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hey, I've been looking for exactly that thing myself -- something that removes the rust but doesn't harm or coat the good surfaces at the same time. Thanks!

dwhite

dwhite

Reply to
Dan White

Electrolysis. So long as you dry things off quickly afterwards, it doesn't affect unrusted metal.

Of course it will leave a dark pit where your rust was. If you want the whole thing shiny s original, you might need to do mechanical polishing - but that's changing the shape (thickness) of the piece, to recover the surface texture.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks all for the reply's,

I've seen he electrolysis thing and it looks interesting, think I'll try the top saver first,...I'm lazy that way.

JD

Reply to
James Dean