buying used table saw

I'm considering buying a used cabinet TS off Craig's List or whatever.

Aside from the obvious: Overall condition, fit and finish Table flatness and condition Cranks, pulleys, &tc., smooth tilt and blade adjustment motor and wiring arbor run-out bearings

What else should I look for?

Thanks a heap,

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

tiredofspam

Well, I'd start w/ make/model/electrics...

--

Reply to
dpb

When you go to inspect it, bring some boards and do some specific cuts and such. Not only see how it works, but feel how it works.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Price

Reply to
G. Ross

Broken trunnion

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Horse power

220v capability

Availability of parts

Reply to
dadiOH

On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 15:59:40 -0700 (PDT), Sonny

such. Not only see how it works, but feel how it works.

I'd also take a square with you, preferable a small one ~ 4" maybe. Do a visual check of the trunnion and then 90° squareness of the blade with it almost down and then all the way up to see if it changes. That's often a good indication of trunnion problems too.

Question: How much is being asked for the saw and how much are you willing to spend. There's successive degrees of table saw categories dependent on what you're willing to spend.

Reply to
Dave

I'd start with thinking about what saw I'd want if I were buying new, then = look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might = want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They se= em to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

Reply to
Gramp's shop

You say "or whatever", but if you are looking for a cabinet saw (~500 pounds), and don't have a truck with a lift gate, LOCATION counts for a lot.

An important feature I didn't see in your list is a "quality fence". Good luck (I'm still in search of a TS myself)! Grizzly G690 is on my list, but i wouldn't mind seeing a Delta UnisawStop (my term) show up in the marketplace.

Bill

look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

Reply to
Bill

look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

I'm pretty sure it was Swingman but he had the best idea I've seen if you have no alternatives. He hired a flatbed tow truck it went very well.

Reply to
Mike M

look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you might want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. They seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

I assume you know how to negotiate and let them use standby time to reduce the cost.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

How does that work ("standby time")?

Bill

Reply to
Bill

hen look for that model in the pre-owned market. In addition to CL, you mi= ght want to watch IRS auctions in the event there is one close to you. The= y seem to specialize in surplus woodworking equipment.

Bill might have pointed out one of the more important features in a table s= aw - fence. Even if you find a good table or cabinet saw with a less-than-= great fence; if price is right you can retrofit a fence. A lot of folks wi= ll aim you at the Biesemeyer which is a good fence. But Bill's reference t= o Grizzly reminded me that Grizzly offers their Shop Fox Classic fence as a= separate package, with short or long rails. I have owned a Grizzly 1023S = for about 11 years and it is equipped with the Classic fence - love it. Ou= r son has a Grizzly contractor's style saw with the aluminum Classic. I ha= ve used his machine quite a bit and it is functionally very similar.

RonB

Reply to
RonB

They have truck's ready to respond to emergencies. You get them to do your job as filler work to help cover overhead. Don't expect them to commit to hours of work without adequate compensation. Also you might approach a few drivers and see if they are open to under the table jobs.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

You're going to be waiting some 20 or so more years for that patent to expire.

Reply to
Dave

And I think I would rather have the SawStop brand over the "Delta of today" version.

Reply to
Leon

Surely there are other options. I believe $omething could be worked out

Reply to
Bill

On Thu, 18 Oct 2012 12:16:56 -0400, Bill

Loooong past that point after Gass visited the other table saw companies trying to get them to license his invention.

Reply to
Dave

Borrowing perhaps from Yogi Berra, "The game's not over until it's over..." : )

Reply to
Bill