I started the tear down on one of my Unisaws today. This one came from a
prision. I looked, but I didn't find any carved soap guns or knives in it
:). To just look at it, it looks pretty sad,
I cleaned up the top with Top Saver.
Wow, does this stuff work well and it doesn't smell like puke like the
Walter product I used to use did.
I checked the arbor for runout,
and while it wasn't too bad, I am going to replace it anyway (I already have
a new one). One of the problems I have found with institutional Unisaws is
that the threads the blade sit on near the flange are usually worn and the
blade/arbor fit has some slop. This one is no exception, the ACME threads
are worn. The arbour is very hard to turn by hand, the bearings are totally
I took the saw totally apart,
The guts of the saw are really in very good shape, nothing broken and very
little wear on the gears. You can see the new Baldor 3hp motor beside the
old 575v 2hp one. This Baldor is a *big*
motor. I also have a new Danfoss
mag starter for the saw. You can see a DeWALT sliding table and a Biesemeyer
splitter as well. The new General T-Square (Biesemeyer) fence is in the
basement still, as is the Delta mobile base.
Check out the serial tag,
I have to figure out a way to preserve and re-use the prison tag.
I will take a piece of the saw with me to the paint store in the next few
days and have them mix me up some Delta Gray. I have not spoken to him yet,
(yoohoo, Mike!) but I hope a friend of mine will be able to paint the saw
for me this week. Otherwise, I will borrow a Turbinair HVLP from work and
try my hand at painting. I will also get new bearings and have the arbors
swapped this week at a local machine shop I do business with all the time.
Note that this saw has a cast iron base on it, it is fairly old.
I hope to have it up and running in just a week or so, I have wanted a
sliding table for a long time!