delta industrial cabinet saw vs unisaw

Can anyone explain the difference between the Delta cabinet saws, such as the 36-730, and the Unisaw? I haven't been able to find enough info to answer this myself. They seem to be the same basic saw, although the 36-730 does not have a Beismeyer fence. The price difference is about $700.

Reply to
melbjer

Unisaw weighs 456 lb (saw alone) and 36-730 is 476 lb (shipping wt w/fence) Unisaw is just beefier machine...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The general guts of the machine/the interior parts and pieces are the same from one saw to the next. There are some cosmetics like one casting sitting next to the other might be more squared or more rounded. Generally the Unisaw castings "look" better/have the look they've always had.

The real difference is with the motor bracket and arbor on the Industrial saw. With this saw you are no longer married to the Delta proprietary motor mount (the two heavy gage metal ears) and when the motor craps out (1) you only need to find one of the same frame (56?) and you're back in service.

The arbor on the new saw is removable. In the past this was done with the Delta 12/14 saw and different diameter and length arbors were/are available for that saw. With the Industrial I suspect it was done just maybe so they could sell a short arbor on the EuroMarket (people of the EC are afraid of dado set ups). I have not seen where replaceable arbors are being sold by Delta so it's speculation.

The T2 Fence in my humble opinion looks like a Biesemeyer with a long over due feature of removable faces.

One feature of the Industrial saw that I don't think will go over too well is the position of the blade in the table. It puts the blade right next to the opening making the insert something that has the edge let out. In other words, a traditional zero clearance insert isn't possible.

Lastly, it is the death knell of the Unisaw.

(1) To the best of my knowledge the motor on the Industrial saw is Chiwainese or at least it has "the look" and motor replacement might be something you'll be doing sooner than later.

UA100, still running an I/R on his 65 year old Unisaw and the motor doesn't even know it's old...

Reply to
Unisaw A100