Cabinet Saw Purchase

I'm in the market for the purchase of a cabinet saw. Last summer I burned up a ryobi direct drive milling cypress for a deck. I promised myself, never again direct drive. I have a chance at a used Delta cabinet saw, 3h,

3 belt, 220v with Beismeyer Fence. Includes rollers and extended table wings. $1200 In that new ones are around 1500, my thinking is I am not getting that much of a break. Anybody out there have any opinions on this or advice on cabinet saws in general.
Reply to
Kirk E. Dobihal

Most everyone will leap to the conclusion that a Delta cabinet saw you're refering to is a Unisaw. And it may be. Delta, however, does (did) make a "Tilting Arbor" saw that is really a contractors saw in a cabinet. Keeter refers to it as Unisaw Light. It's not worth $1200, even new. Make sure this isn't one of them.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

First and foremost, it depends upon the condition of the saw itself ... then any extras that come with it and the cost of getting it home and running, versus a new one.

Without seeing the saw in question, for $1200 I would expect to be buying one "like new", with low mileage and in excellent condition ... YMMV.

Reply to
Swingman

The real answer is in the condition of the saw. I think $1500 may be light for that model today (I think closer to $1800) but you can check that out easily. The Unisaw is one of the best on the market and you will not be disappointed with it. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Kirk E. Dobihal states:

It's not a helluva deal, but you face some "buts". Is it in great condition? Is it tuned? How much use has it seen? I wouldn't touch a Unisaw at $1200 used unless it hit the first 2 marks, and was on the low end for the third. Or unless it was 40 years old and hit all 3 marks. I'd jump on that.

Look for rust, measure run-out, check miter slots, generally do everything you'd do if you were planning on tuning the saw up at home. If you find ANY problems at that price, walk away or negotiate.

After all, for another $300 or so, you get a new saw, with warranty.

Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

Note the 3 belt. The Unisaw Lite uses, IIRC, 2 belts.

Charlie Self "Adam and Eve had many advantages but the principal one was that they escaped teething." Mark Twain

Reply to
Charlie Self

That's what I was thinking also, and was why I leapt. IIRC, the "Unisaw Lite" was selling new for around $1299 ... but with all the Delta models/flavors these days, I could well be mistaken.

Reply to
Swingman

I wasn't aware of that. I just wanted to throw the U-L out as something to watch out for. There have been plenty of people that weren't aware of its existance.

Thanks.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

The General 350/650 uses 2 belts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Cheap POS, eh?

... you know I'm kidding. General is the only saw I've seen in that general price range I'd consider trading my Uni for.

Reply to
Swingman

OR for a couple hundred LESS you can get a new Grizzly cabinet saw with warrenty.

Dave Hall

Reply to
David Hall

Hmmm. I stand corrected. Maybe *I* just coined it...

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Dear Clif:

In a previous life I was a tool dealer and owned a woodworking supply store. In my career I have sold 100's of tablesaws: Delta's, Jets, Powermatics as well as Dewalts and others. Most problems one has with equipment was freight damage. Since we unloaded the trucks, put them in our wharehouse, and then loaded or deliveried them to the customer direct we had very few problems. I am a big fan of the Delta Unisaw and I have had experience with 100's of saws not just one, I am very confident in recommending the Delta Unisaw. Delta always impowered me to take care of the customer. I am sure the Delta Unisaw would give you years of good service. In my opinion I believe the Unisaw is still the best value and is the foundation of how other saws are judged. Good luck and happy woodworking to you. Mike

Reply to
Mike at American Sycamore

I'm sure someone will prove me wrong but I don't ever remember referring to it as a Unisaw Light. I have though referred to it as a WantsaBeAUnisaw or/and a Contractor'sSawInnaBox.

There is a saw that has been referred to by me as the Baby Unisaw or the Junior Unisaw but the WBAU/CSIAB isn't that saw.

Ditto what ElRod said. Also, the WBAU/CSIAB isn't even worth $600.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yah'but, I don't trust anyone's description of a machine unless I'm there when he/she's describing it.

I can't tell you the number of times...

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Be still my beating heart.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

don't tease me.

dave

Unisaw A100 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

"Kirk E. Dobihal" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews2.newsguy.com:

Well, there's buying used, and then there's buying through a good local dealer.

There's a time and a season for both, as well as other, options.

What Mike at American Sycamore said about the dealer's role weighed heavily in my decision, because I just wanted to buy a good tool, and get on with woodworking. Peace of mind and convenience was worth the markup the dealer earned, and has earned several times again, on a major tool purchase.

That having been said, I did time my purchases to match up with the manufacturer-sponsored 10% off days. But I'm a part-time 'wood artist', not a full time professional, and can wait for a new toy to arrive. Other parts of my life are less patient.

BTW, I paid $1700 for the Unisaw left tilt, with mobile base, a passable blade, 52" Bies fence, in the back of my pickup truck. That number includes the 8.25% premium we pay for the privilege of living in the San Francisco Bay Area. 15 months ago, or so. I'd do it again, without hesitation.

On the other hand, one of my woodworker friends who scouts for old tools has his eye out for a good deal on a better quality, 6" or 8" jointer, used.

Patriarch, who remembers that consistency is supposed to be the hobgoblin of something or other....

Reply to
patriarch

I love my Jet JTAS left tilt cabinet. Not a single problem with the saw. Works great. I added the biesmyer snap in splitter, zero clearance throat plate and now couldnt be happier. If I had to complain at all, and it is minor, its that the fence HDDP (or whatever that plastic stuff is) is not completely flat. Using the ts aligner it shows a fluctuation by about .0002 or so. Not much but its there

Kirk E. Dobihal wrote:

Reply to
Bob

Kind of looks like it. I haven't looked at one in years, ever since I found out what it really was. I can't believe they have it priced that high.