New Delta Non-Unisaw Cabinet Saws

I was looking through my new Tool Crib catalog and saw a new Delta Cabinet Saw w/50" Bies fence for $1299 here's the Amazon link.

's the Delta link:

this the Chinese version of the Unisaw? Anybody seen one up close at the shows?

For $500 less than the Unisaw and with your choice of Bies or Unifence it might be a good buy compared to some of the other overseas version i.e. , Griz, Shop fox, etc. that run about the same price with the 50" upgraded fence.

Dave L.

Reply to
Dave L.

Hummmmmm....

I wonder...... several years ago, 10 or so I think, Volkswagen dropped the prices of their cars a significant amount with the beginning of a new model year. IIRC it averaged 10-15% off each of the previous year models. The buyers that bought JUST before the less expensive new model year cars were available were pissed, to put it mildly.

Could Delta be practicing the same thing here and becoming more competitive but with the foresight to take the Unisaw name off the saw so as not to piss off the new Unisaw owners? I briefly looked at the parts illustration and there are still 3 belts and a beefy looking trunion although noticeably different. Its not an exact copy of a Unisaw. This should be interesting. Which saw will survive?

> Here's the Delta link:

Reply to
Leon

| | |I was looking through my new Tool Crib catalog and saw a new Delta |Cabinet Saw w/50" Bies fence for $1299 here's the Amazon link. | |

||Here's the Delta link: | |
||Is this the Chinese version of the Unisaw? Anybody seen one up close |at the shows? | |For $500 less than the Unisaw and with your choice of Bies or Unifence |it might be a good buy compared to some of the other overseas version |i.e. , Griz, Shop fox, etc. that run about the same price with the 50" |upgraded fence.

If you would follow your own Amazon link and read the reviews, your questions would be answered.

Also, this saw is right tilt only.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

In the current 2003/2004 Full Line Catalog the Unisaw is shown with a 'Murican flag next to it and the proclamation that it's "Proudly Made In The USA".

There is no such tag line on the 3 HP Cabinet Saw No.

36-730, 731, 732 and there is no country of origin noted.

The saw has been available for the last year or so in Canada. I suppose that's where you'll most likely find someone who has used one.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

With the exception of the motor bracket and motor mount the parts are nearly identical to the Unisaw.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

So once again...if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, in all likelihood, you've got yourself a duck. :)

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

Not necessarily ... except for a dental mount and bracket, the parts on my face are nearly identical to Robert Redford's.

Reply to
Swingman

I looked specifically at the drawing of the yoke and that was different, subtly. Have you seen the real thing?

Reply to
Leon

My car and truck both transport passengers and sound like a Hummer. But....

Reply to
Leon

Agreed. Could Delta finally be getting away from the prorietary motor mounting system? The exploded parts diagram looks to me like the new saw will be able to take a standard frame motor.

The saw looks more streamlined than the X5 Unisaw. If the quality control is up there, this might be a big step for Delta.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

One big question for me, just got answered - you can't put a true zero-clearance insert in this (by a look at the exploded parts diagram). That'll effectively make this one a "never-buy" in my book.

No big deal. So's my Unisaw (1997 model).

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

My wife has all the same parts as any supermodel.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Mine too. Just that most of them are oversized.

Reply to
Silvan

Yes it is

This saw in its current config will not take a full sized dado. A new arbor must be ordered.

Paul

Reply to
Paul

Nope. Just the parts drawing which typically does look an awful lot like the real thing, usually.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Yeah, I had to compare the two side by so to speak to see the differences.

Reply to
Leon

more for your money?

Reply to
Bridger

Built for comfort, not for speed. :-)

Doug Miller

My mistake, I actually was looking at the 36-731 which has no reviews. I should have read the complete 36-732 also.

Dave L.

Reply to
Dave L.